twenty-one

EVERYTHING was black, everyone was dressed in black. The flowers were the only bright color in the room. Valerie didn't want to come. Her dad wouldn't have even come to his own funeral if he didn't have to. Valerie walked into the church with a black dress and blank look on her face. With Valerie on Chris's arm and Alex by Valerie's side, they sat on a bench next to Alex and Valerie's mom, grandma and grandpa. She sat down quietly.

Valerie didn't make a peep during the funeral. She didn't cry, she didn't laugh when her grandpa told a funny story about his son, she was broken without her dad. Alex got up to make a speech. The second he opened his mouth, he croaked and had to step back. Valerie had never seen her brother cry, ever. She hated watching her big brother cry and not be able to do anything about it. Standing, she walked in front of Chris and left the church. She couldn't watch her brother break down in front of the casket where he dead father laid. She couldn't take it any more.

Valerie caught a cab and had him take her to the nearest drug store. Valerie asked him to wait while she ran in to grab something, she was only going to be a minute. The guy nodded and shut the car off. She ran inside the drug store, grabbed a green lighter and walked up to the counter.
"One pack of cigarettes please."
The door burst open to the store.
"Valerie, don't." Chris's voice echoed through the store.
"Please, Chris. Let me cope on my own." She pleaded, turning to him. The cashier held a pack of cigarettes in his hand, he didn't know what to do with it. Should he listen to the perfect boyfriend? Or the broken girlfriend?
Valerie took in a sharp breath, set the lighter down, said "I don't need these things." and walked out the store. Chris thanked the cashier for his time and followed Valerie out to the parking lot. She was standing at the passengers door, paying the cab driver. He took the money, counted it and started the cab. Winking at Valerie, he drove off.
"C'mon Val, let's go home." Chris said, standing at the passengers side of his truck.
"I'm going to walk." She says, hugging her chest with her arms.
"Please, get in the car."
"I'm walking." Valerie says before walking away without looking back.

She walked all the way to the church with Chris on her tail. She stopped at the entrance to the church and got in Chris's truck.
"Can we sleep at the hotel?" She asks, looking forward.
"Sure," Chris says, driving to her mom's house to get her things. Valerie was in and out.

Valerie laid on the white bed and Chris lounged next to her. He flipped through the channels.
"How you doing?" He asked Valerie.
She looked up at him. "I could be better."
"You're doing great. I'm proud of you."
"Thanks, Chris. Can we go home tomorrow?"
"Only if you want. I will go wherever you want me."
Valerie looked at him. "Aw baby." She leaned it and kissed his cheek.
"Let's go home."