Chapter Seven: Judas

Start from the beginning

"Lily, Mr. Robert needs you a moment." The woman, Jane said.

"Yes, Ma'am." Without so much as a word to me, Lily went out and closed the door behind her, being careful not to let Jane see me sitting just inside.

I listened to the footsteps drift away from the door. One set of footsteps. My guards giggled, their voices crinkling like dead leaves as the door opened again and Jane waltzed in. A deep scowl stretched her plump cheeks and rage burned in her oddly dark eyes. She bolted the door behind her. The click the board made as it slid into place echoed loudly through the tiny room, filling my ears deafeningly.

"I-I'm sorry. I'm a friend of Lily's. I was just visiting. I'll leave right away." I jumped up. My guards bounded from their perches like unsettled cats. They scurried towards Jane and took their places at her feet.

"Pull the thread," Jane growled. Sharp teeth peeked over her lips as she spoke.

"W-what?" My brows furrowed in confusion. My guards were looking up at Jane expectantly as if waiting for something.

"Pull the thread, Mouse!" Jane dove at me, grabbing for my threaded arm. I ducked out of her path, protectively putting my arm behind my back. "What are you waiting for?" Jane asked. She shimmered and the veil was lifted. Knut stood where Jane once did. He stood with his back hunched and his fingers flexed, baring his claws like a cat ready to strike.

He came towards me, and my guards flanked him. They backed me into a corner. "You gave it to me. You said it was up to me. That you wouldn't take me until I chose to marry you." I said, gulping as his face drew nearer.

"That was before he dared to hurt you." His long fingers cupped my chin. His thumb brushed against my painted lips, smearing the paint, and exposing the cut on my lower lip. "What is there to stay for? One day back and your brother has already drawn blood." His dark eyes bore into me. "Have you already forgotten what I've offered you? The gold? The dresses? The power?"

"Your gifts come at a price," I replied, pressing myself against the wall. "I'd still have to marry a monster."

"Not so great a price as what staying will cost you. Matilda, you are smarter than this." He breathed. His breath cooled the skin of my cheek. He drew closer until our bodies were almost entwined. I couldn't take a breath without touching him. "Please. Pull the thread. You will regret it if you don't."

"I doubt that." I said defiantly. His hand moved from my chin to drag his thumb along my jaw. His claw-like nail ghosted across my skin, leaving gooseflesh in its wake.

His mouth stretched widely, flashing inhuman teeth. I turned my head as his face drew even nearer. He breathed softly against my ear, sighing, his mouth so close that I could feel his lips and teeth brushing against my skin. "I'm trying to help you. You think some human man is going to be enough? As if what they offer can compare to what I can give you. With them, you'd be nothing more than a housewife. With me, you would be a god. The man coming here is not the one you were promised. Just let me bring you home. Come with me and all your worries end." Footsteps sounded in the hall. Many. Heavy. Men's steps. More than one. "Damn." Knut cursed, stepping away from me. "I've run out of time. Listen, My Girl." He grabbed my arm from behind my back and held my threaded wrist before my eyes. "Do as I say if you know what is good for you. There was a reason I warned you not to come back here." The doorknob began to rattle. The men were trying to come inside.

"Help me keep her alive or I'll cook you both." He warned my guards. Knut darted to the wall by the door. His mouth moved rapidly as the goblins' tongue spouted from his mouth. Slowly the details of his body and face faded until he was nothing but a faint shadow.