Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Grayson's POV

I wake up with Skylar's body wrapped around mine. Last night, she came upstairs and I watched her get undressed, then put on one of my t-shirts. She thought I was a sleep but I really wasn't. Is that bad? Oh well no regrets. She then cuddled up into my body and slept. She's the cutest girl ever I swear.

"Hey Skylar," I say loud enough to wake her up.

"What is it Gray?" She answers back, sounding half asleep.

"What do you wanna do today?" I ask as she sits up. She opens her eyes fully and looks into mine.

I wait for an answer, but none comes out of her mouth. I just see her smile like she's thinking of something funny.

"What is it?" I speak.

"Remember my sign."

"Your what?"

She looks down and plays with her fingers. Then she looks back up at me and slightly laughs.

"My sign. The one that said help."

My eyes widen. Why is she bringing that up? That was forever ago and I was so mean to her on that day. She thinks it's funny?

"And remember how you were telling me how pathetic I was and how no one would help me?" She says happily. I don't understand. Thinking of that makes her happy?

"Yeah I guess. That was stupid. I was just mad on that day. And-"

"I know I know. You always say that," she interrupts.

"Okay I'll stop?" I respond. I feel like I've known Skylar my whole life, but she still confuses me a lot.

"You don't have to be awkward about it. We can have a normal conversation about it."

"Can I ask you a question?" I ask then instantly regret. I shouldn't ask her questions about it. I know she's saying it's fine, but on the inside it probably makes her uncomfortable.

"Ask me whatever you want." She grabs my hand and our fingers intertwine.

"Uh," I start. I forgot what I was going to ask. Her hand touching mine just, I don't know. It made me feel all nervous. It distracted me. What is this feeling?

"Just ask me. Whatever you want to know, I'll tell you," she says waking me up from whatever that weird feeling was.

"Right. Um. Why did you have a sign up?" I spit out quickly.

"Because I was stupid and thought it was a good idea. I thought if I put a sign up then some random family would walk by and want to adopt me or something. That's unrealistic but at the time I didn't realize that."

I notice her fake a smile. I made her sad. Good job Grayson.

"Anything else?" She quietly asks.

I shake my head no and look down.

"Oh come on. Just ask me. I want you to know more about me."

"But it hurts you to talk about it. I can tell."

"No it doesn't. I promise it doesn't. And even if did, I'd still want to talk about it with you. So please ask me. I want you to know."

"What'd you do when you first became homeless? Like what happened on the first day?"

She thinks of what to say before she speaks. Finally after thinking about it for a while, she answers.

"The first day I went to my friend's house. I mean we weren't really friends but we talked a little. Her name was Natalie. I went to her house asked if I could stay over for a couple days. I thought she'd say yes, but she declined and shut the door in my face. So then I went to her neighbor's house, who I also knew. It was a guy named Devon and to be honest I had a crush on him when I was like 12 through 14 and I don't know why. I mean he was cute but he acted like he was better than everyone and pretended he didn't know me when literally he would talk to me when no one was around. But whatever I don't even care about him anymore. Anyway I asked him if I could stay over for a few days. He actually said yes. So I just stayed there for literally less then 48 hours. His mom found me and freaked out. Saying Devon wasn't aloud to have girls in the house. But we weren't doing anything. We talked a little but slept in separate rooms. He had a girlfriend at the time so literally nothing at all happened. After that I wasted my money on Wendy's and that stupid jacket. I should've at least tried getting a job right then and there and try to save up money for an apartment. But I didn't. I was too lazy. I've honestly grown up and learned so much since then. I'm still just a stupid kid, but I was slightly more stupid back then," she laughed.

I don't know how to respond. It's a lot to take in. This girl right in front of was homeless. Can't imagine what she went through. Behind her pretty face is girl who's been scarred and broken. What would have happened if I never noticed her that day? Would she be in the home of someone else? Or still on the streets?

"It's not as bad as you probably think it is," she says.

"It's probably worse than I can imagine."

"Any other questions?"

How can she be so calm about it? If I had been in her position I would be distraught and extremely uncomfortable. But she's just acting like it's not a big deal.

"Did anyone ever try to hurt you while you were on the streets?"

"You mean besides you?" She smiles.

I told you she's petty.

"Yes besides me. Anyone else try to hurt you?"

"No not really. People would look at me and laugh and stuff but nothing serious."

"Did people give you money?"

"Yeah this one lady gave me $10 which was the most I got from one person. I spent it on sunglasses that I lost within a day."

My phone buzzes. I check and see a text from Ethan.

E: wanna double date today? Me and Brooklyn and you and Sky? Just hmu if you want to

Sorry I'm updating so late lol. But 1050 words dnsksjsnidkssnsk. I think this is the longest chapter I've written. Anyway, hope you're enjoying the story <3