Chapter 3

Alianna's stomach immediately started to grumble at Evan's words. Jax chuckled as his hand caressed the small of her back as all four watched the waiters set up the breakfast table. Jax nodded at the men before Rex ushered them out. Alianna smiled as Jax pulled out her chair for her and he sat beside her. Evan sat down opposite Jax and when Rex returned he sat opposite Alianna and they began to eat.

Jax placed his knife and fork down on the table, catching Alianna's attention. Her eyes flickered up and she noticed that Evan and Rex were almost finish eating but had stopped once Jax did. She rolled her eyes, she was hungry so she was going to eat.

Jax did not comment, he knew he had Alianna's attention anyways. "What's our plan?"

"It depends," Evan said. "What is Marino's plan?" All eyes fell to the woman at the table.

Alianna swallowed, "Well I don't think he planned on dying last night."

The men chuckled and Evan leaned forward, causing Jax to put his arm around Alianna's small shoulders. "Alright, Marino's dead," Evan said plainly, "who's next in charge?"

Alianna tensed as memories flashed before her eyes. The sadistic laughter rung in her ears and she unconsciously clawed at her skin at the ghost of his touch. Jax captured her hands with his, looking at Evan darkly. Evan leaned back, wondering how could a simple question traumatise Alianna.

"Alianna," Jax said softly in an attempt not to alarm the terrified woman. His fingers slipped in between hers and he squeezed her hand gently. It had its intended effect as Alianna jumped and slipped into an unreadable façade.

Alianna wetted her lips. "L'iiblis," she said softly, slipping her hand out from Jax's to reach for the tea to help soothe her suddenly dry mouth.

"Come again?" Evan asked looking at her in regret.

Alianna cleared her throat and swallowed the lump that seemed to form there. "L'iiblis," she said as loud as she dared. During her childhood and her days as a trainee, no one would ever though to utter his name, hound ears would single you out.

"L'iiblis what?" Evan asked, simultaneously pushing her and his luck.

Alianna shrugged, "That's his name. I don't know if it's his real one, hell I don't even know if Alianna is my real name." She bit her tongue and sipped her tea again, ignoring the curious looks she was receiving.

Jax silenced Evan's next question with a glare. "So L'iiblis," his eyes hardened when he saw Alianna wince, "what does he do?"

"Everything Marino didn't do," she replied, "which is to say, everything. Recruiting, training, selling mostly." Memories played at the fore front of her mind.

"Selling?" Jax repeated. "You mean the auctions?" Alianna nodded, looking down at her food with a sudden loss of appetite. "He's the auctioneer?" Another nod. Jax focused his attention on Evan and Rex, "I can give a description if we can get an artist. It won't be much, the bastard was wearing a hat."

"You bought someone?!" Alianna asked Jax incredulously. Her eyes flashed murderously but, to Jax's relief, she did not reach for her knife or gun. He caught Rex smirking out of the corner of his eye.

"I saved someone," he countered, not bothering to elaborate.

Alianna relaxed and regarded Jax as he talked to the others in a different light. She never thought Jax would buy someone, selling humans, it was nothing short of slavery and thankfully she was spared of that experience. She scoffed inwardly at his excuse, saving someone. Her locked away memories flashed through her mind again; of a place from where she could've been saved.