Chapter Seventeen

Today’s word of the chapter: ‘Heterochromia Iridis’. Definition: (Noun) A condition in which the iris, the coloured part of the eye, is composed of different coloured patches or segments or when the iris of one eye is a different colour than the iris of the other eye.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Seventeen

“Follow me,” a burly female police officer ordered. She was stocky and stood at a height that turned my mother and I into ants in comparison. “I just need to take a few photographs and ask some questions,” she explained as we were led through hallways that were bustling with officers.

She guided us into an area that was decorated with desks that had been split into groups of four and across to the furthest wall where five tables with four seats each were lined up. The one towards the very left end of the row held the fighting couple, except they seemed to have quietened down as they were questioned by two male officers’ with strict faces.

The policewoman motioned for my mother and I to take a seat opposite her. “I’m Officer Dawson,” the burly lady with a head full of brunette hair announced. “My partner and I have been assigned to your case. He should be arriving soon...” She leant back in her seat and began searching the room.

It was a large expanse of work surfaces that were divided by short, pale gray walls. The seats were fitted with wheels and gray cloth coverings. The long line of filing cabinets’ that stood against a wall that was diagonal to where we sat – at the centre of the five tables – were a deep shade of gray. The thick carpet that we had trod across was the same fair gray as the desk separations’.

This was probably the most depressing, gray building that I had ever seen.

At last, her partner arrived. And I momentarily lost all ability to function regularly.

It was the Rookie from the day Phoenix and I had run away from the warehouse.

The number of swear words that I wanted to ramble was heightened only when the officer sat in a chair right in front of me and cocked his head to the side. “You don’t have a twin sister, do you?” he asked. My hair resembled a black shrub and I was pretty sure that not many people had similar, raven locks around here which only made it simpler to discern me.

I shook my head.

The Officer nodded slowly and stared off into the distance. I released a deep breath of air. He actually believed me. I noticed that his jaw was slightly darker than the rest of his face and suddenly remembered that Phoenix had knocked the living daylights out of him not long ago. “I’m going to get that kid, Dawson,” he said to the female police officer. “He put Bailey in the hospital with that kick.” I felt as though he was saying too much. Well, he was new to the job but I still didn’t think that it would take experience to know not to talk about private business in front of just anyone.

And then I understood what he had just rambled. The man that was zipping up his pants! Phoenix had performed a kip up and then kicked him. He was in the hospital?

Maybe Booth did know that I was lying and was trying to gain a reaction from me. I met his eyes and was briefly entranced by the fiery depths before I hastily snapped my gaze from his and stared at Officer Dawson instead.

He may not have been certain but he definitely suspected me.

“I know, Booth. But now is not the time,” she responded in a hushed, angry tone. When the policewoman spoke, I belatedly came to realise she had the same voice as the officer that had nearly caught Phoenix and I while we were scaling the crates.