Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I awoke the next Monday morning with my mind set.

I was going to talk to Phoenix Knight.

I had nothing to lose! My social status was the least of my worries so there really wasn’t much risk. Except for maybe if he pulled out a knife and attempted to stab me in which case I’d be in way over my head.

My life was at a complete standstill. I never liked to talk about who I was at home because that person disappointed me. Even my closest friends weren’t in on the situation. And I wanted to keep it that way.

I didn’t care for school. It was just a boring institution where information was forced down my throat and then splurged back up when we were forced into one exam after another. It wasn’t fun. I didn’t enjoy learning.

Even my “closest” of friends weren’t that important. I loved them and all but they were all so immature and somewhat replaceable. Sometimes I just wished that they could look at the world. As in, really look. Like I did every time I supposedly zoned out. I saw things and people in ways that I felt they didn’t. I would never tell them that though, it would only be a cause for intervention.

I had not told a single one of them about my plan to talk to the school “bad boy” because they would only try to stop me.

Phoenix Knight was my one way out. Just by watching him, I could tell that there was more to him than just messy hair and a large motorbike. He was a mystery; a complicated puzzle. And I was adamant about arranging those puzzle pieces so that at least then he would make more sense.

My mother dropped me off at school and then smiled warmly. In my family, we had all grown accustomed to keeping up appearances. Most of those appearances were of us just trying to convincingly seem loving and put together. Perhaps that was why I didn’t care much for other people’s opinions. Opinions were the least of my worries. As she drove away, I heard her hoot twice cheerfully and then speed off down the highway.

I was left standing at the double-doors to our castle-like school.

I did not walk through the looming entrance as usual. It was ten minutes past eight and classes didn’t start for another twenty minutes. I wanted to avoid being seen by my inquisitive friends so I took a seat at a bench that was around the corner of the school building; away from the sight of those who arrived for the school day.

It was quieter here. A fact that only made me realise how fast my heart was beating as I heard the familiar sound of Phoenix’s Harley. I played with my hands that were slowly becoming moist with sweat. I was nervous.

The rumbling of his active engine ceased to be heard and I took that moment to stand. My feet that were clad in worn-out Converse All Stars crushed cigarette butts. This was the smoking corner of the school. It was where nicotine addicts congregated every day to inhale potentially deadly smoke together. I stretched my stiff muscles and attempted to calm myself. Maybe if I was nice enough then he wouldn’t kill me?

I lifted my back pack that seemed to weigh a ton and strapped it on. The walk to his corner was excruciatingly slow and in that moment, I felt like every eye was on me. After all, I was ‘that idiot that wanted to talk to Phoenix Knight’. At least when he killed me, I would be known for something. I would die a legacy.

He was seated on the gravel floor beside his bike and his eyes were fixed on his spotless Etnies. He must have heard my shoes hit the rocky floor because his eyes danced upwards for a moment. And then he stuck his hand into his jacket pocket and pulled out a razor-sharp pocket knife. As I approached, he began fiddling with it.