Chapter Twenty-Six: The Gift

Start from the beginning

Ronan has no use for a L'ightat, Richard was well aware of that, but that certain Lycan had been giving everyone grief.

"It was only recently that I learned it was he who killed my daughter and grandchildren. The only thing I have left to offer is safety for my granddaughter — the last thing I have left of Vivian," he whispered.

"He killed them. She almost died," Emma squeaked from the corner, her head down and her eyes downcast looking at the floor. She rarely thought of Aira's time in the hospital, but when she did, it made her angry. Van supposed that was why Drake rarely mentioned the incident.

It didn't take Richard long to figure out Emma was referring to Aira and his family. "I know, and that's exactly why she will be better off with my family and me. I thank you for raising her, but I won't withhold my disdain for your husband keeping me away."

Emma didn't miss a beat as she replied, "There was a reason Vivian kept you away. What was that reason?" It had bothered her since that awful woman had mentioned it a week prior.

Richard didn't fuss as he answered, "We had our problems with Vivian. We lost our son, Aither, when she was a teenager. They were twins. She changed after that. She was never the same, and she left. It wasn't until my wife passed that I knew I had to find Aira and bring her home."

Van could tell that Drake and Emma were both uncomfortable with this conversation. Just from the looks on their faces, he could tell that they wouldn't give her up without a fight. However, the looks they gave Van as he hugged Aira outside couldn't compare to the looks they had at that very moment. Richard smiled knowingly as he asked the question that would send everyone over the edge.

"You wouldn't happen to be in love with my granddaughter, would you, Van?" he asked nonchalantly. That old bastard was stirring the pot, and he damn well knew it.

Van was well aware that, in the time Richard had come into contact with him, Van had given the impression humans were disgusting and vile despite living amongst them. It must have been amusing to watch the girl hug him and sniffle into his shirt.

All eyes were on Van as they waited for his answer. Drake and Emma both expected a curt huff and something along the lines of "The hell are you on about?"

His answer certainly sent them all reeling.

He smirked. "And what if I am?"

Richard's face fell so low it could have hit the floor. That was not the answer he had expected, but it certainly did help the bastard's cause when Drake, still weak, went to get out of his seat, a look of murder flashing across his face. Emma raced to hold her mate down, panic flashing across her face.

"Drake!" she snapped, pressing him back into his seat though Van was sure he could have thrown her aside if he wanted to.

Van eyed Drake carefully and gauged his reaction with uncertainty. He had expected Richard to react unpleasantly but not Drake. In truth, the old man was starting to irritate the crap out of him with this senseless chatter.

"I care little for the girl," Van admitted. "So, if you're all done wetting your pants..." He waved his hand as if to urge them to carry on with their conversation. Truthfully, that answer to Richard's question had left his lips before he even had the chance to think about the question. On the outside he was calm, but on the inside, he was going insane trying to find some reason behind his rogue tongue.

"You don't... care what happens to me?" came a soft, little voice from the staircase.

Van didn't even flinch when he realized the girl had heard him. His answer was cold, flat and direct as he snapped, "Don't put words in my mouth, girl."