Chapter 1- They Eventually Stopped

Start from the beginning

“Have you been a good boy for grandma?” I asked him.

“Yes ma-ma,” he said simply.

He didn’t really talk much, but he was able to say small words like “yes” and “no” or if he wanted something he would say it.

“Audri!” my grandma yelled from upstairs, “Is that you?”

“Yeah,” I yelled and walked upstairs with Maurice.

“I’m sorry I left him down there by his self. I just needed to take my medicine,” my grandma said when I walked in her room.

“It’s okay. And thank you for letting him stay here for a few hours,” I replied.

“You don’t have to thank me. You know I’m here for you whenever you need me,” she said, “I just wish that nappy headed boy that got you in this situation would take some responsibility and take care of his baby.”

“Grandma, we already had this conversation a hundred times,” I sighed.

“I don’t care how famous you say he is; being a celebrity shouldn’t mean he don’t have to take care of a baby that he helped make!” she was getting mad which was making me a little angry.

“It’s not like that. If I told you everything that happened, you would understand,” I picked up Maurice’s bag and got ready to leave.

“Audri, I love you. I just don’t want to see you end up like how I did…and your mother did,” she hugged me.

“I won’t. Maurice and I are gonna be just fine. Didn’t you always teach me not to rely on a man anyway?”

She smiled, “Yeah, you’re right.”

“So you have nothing to worry about, grandma,” I replied, “I have to go, but I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”

“Alright Audri, you’re gonna sit down and talk to me one day. I know you’re hiding something,” she said before I left.

My mom, Alexis and Lena were the only ones that knew the whole story between me and Chris, and I wasn’t planning on telling the rest of my family anything. I did, however, tell my grandmother that I dated someone famous, but that was as far as I went. No one needed to know what really happened.

I was on my way home, driving in the fast lane. My grandmother only lived ten minutes away, but the only way I could get back to my house was by taking the highway. I saw there were only a few people on the road, so I didn’t really care about going too fast or too slow.

Maurice was sleep in the back, and I was singing along to the radio when my phone started ringing.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Hey, Audri,” it was Lena, “Are you in your car right now?”

“Yeah, why?”

“I left my paper in your glove compartment when you dropped me off today. Can you take it out and I’ll come by your house tomorrow to pick it up.”

“Alright,” I said.

“Thank you,” she hung up.

I reached into the glove compartment and pulled out a bunch of papers. I wasn’t sure which one was hers, so my eyes switched back and forth from the road to all the papers in the pile. I saw that there was a picture in there, so I picked it up and looked at it. I didn’t know who it was until I looked closely and saw that it was Chris and I from two years ago. We were at the park, and he was holding me while I took the picture with my camera.

My mind scrolled back to that day, and it was as if I was there again. We had just eaten breakfast at a local restaurant, and later decided to walk to the park. It was like we were glued to each other, and aside from the “You’re beautiful”-s and “I Love You”-s we didn’t say anything; we were just lost in each other’s eyes. I longed to see him again. I just wanted a chance to talk to him; see how he was doing. I knew if we began talking again, we would soon be back together and that’s all I wanted.

I stared at the picture a little too long and when I looked up to face the road, headlights were speeding towards me and before I had any time to react I felt the massive impact of the other car.

I screamed loudly.

Without warning, the car lurched and I was thrown forward violently. All I could do was think about my baby Maurice who was now screaming and crying loudly. The seat belt was cutting into my chest and my breaths became short. The sound of shattering glass echoed in my ears as an airbag exploded in my face. My vision blurred and the sounds of the raining glass and Maurice’s screams soon got lower and eventually stopped.