Chapter 1- They Eventually Stopped

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR AUDRI, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!” everyone sung in unison.

“Thank you guys so much!” I was grinning from ear to ear at all the people that actually showed up.

My two best friends, Alexis and Lena, my mom and my co-workers from work were all at my house to celebrate my nineteenth birthday with me.

“Aww, Audri. I remember when you were first born. Now you’re nineteen! I can’t believe time flies so quickly,” my mom said and hugged me.

“I love you mom. Thank you for everything,” I said to her and let go.

I thanked everyone individually for coming and then walked into the kitchen to get a can of soda. I saw Alexis and Lena come in behind me.

“Don’t worry Audri; we’ll go out to a real party later. I have something planned,” Alexis said to me.

“Ugh, thank you Lex,” Lena said quickly, “I’ve been waiting all week to go to the new club that opened last month.”

“No, we’re not going there. There’s another club that’s only twenty minutes away. I haven’t been there yet, but I heard everyone who’s anyone goes there on Friday,” Alexis replied.

“Guys, I’m sorry, but I can’t go out tonight,” I said and drunk some of my soda.

“What? It’s your birthday! Why not?” Alexis asked.

“My grandmother was only supposed to babysit Maurice for a few hours today. I have to pick him up in like two hours…You do remember I have a son, right?”

They both sighed, “Audri. I can’t believe this. You’ve been stuck here taking care of Maurice every day for the past year and nine months while Chris, the father of your baby, is probably out at a strip club right now…having fun, with no responsibilities,” Alexis said.

“I’m having fun too…you guys threw this great party for me. And, I don’t care what Chris is doing.” I said taking another sip of soda.

“You told us exactly one year ago, on your eighteenth birthday, that you were going to talk to him. Why haven’t you?” Lena asked.

“Because, I don’t want to bother him. I see he’s been really busy with his new album and touring in Europe, and I don’t think he wants to be bothered with ‘baby-mama drama’,” I replied, “And, please, can we not talk about this right now? I just want to enjoy my birthday.”

“Alright Audri, I’m sorry,” Alexis said, “Now come on, I want you to open the gifts I bought you.”

After I opened all the gifts, the party lasted for two more hours and soon enough everyone went home.

My son, Maurice, was already almost two years old, but had never even seen his father. I never told anyone that I called Chris about three times after he was born, but his numbers weren’t the same, so I never tried again. I didn’t want to lie to myself; I did miss him, but the thought of him avoiding me after finding out I really did have a baby just scared me too much.

My life was going better than I thought it would be considering I did get pregnant in my junior year in high school. I didn’t go to college, but I was given a great job as a dental assistant after graduating. I moved into my own one-bedroom apartment with Maurice, and surprisingly, everything was going well.

“Hey Maurice,” I said with a huge smile when I walked into the kitchen in my grandma’s house.

He smiled when he saw me, so I picked him up from his high chair.