Embracing The Title

"Keep moving," Serin said, prodding Hyejeong's back as they walked back to their rooms. Hyejin was scowling, muttering curse words under her breath as they trudged up the maids' staircase.

Hyejin was pushed into her room. "I'll be there, don't you go anywhere," Serin instructed her, before following Hyejeong to her bedroom, "And I'll make sure that Kim Yura gets a cut for not locking the room when she left. If it were up to me, she would be fired for even daring to take so long."

"It's not her fault, Hyejin let me out!" Hyejeong said, as Serin pushed her into her room, "If you fire her-"

"What?" the maid asked sardonically, "What can you do, Miss Hyejeong?"

Hyejeong glared at her as the maid reached for the doorknob.

She didn't know how it happened; one moment Serin was about to shut and lock the door, leaving her inside. The next moment it was the maid inside the room, and Hyejeong was the one who was locking her bedroom door from the outside.

She panted, stepping back from the door, as Serin yelled for help from inside her room.

Hyejin's door opened. "What's going on- unnie!" she cried, as Hyejeong gave her a glance, "You locked her in? Unnie, what the heck?"

"I have to do something," Hyejeong said breathlessly, before sprinting towards the staircase, running straight for the study.

She hoped Minyoung wouldn't fall for the bait.

She hoped.

***

Mrs Shin read through the birth certificate Minyoung was holding out to her.

The certificate was signed by hand; the signatures left indentations on the yellowed paper, and the woman's eyes stared hungrily at it.

"Yes," she murmured, "And this is the only copy you own?"

Minyoung nodded.

Mrs Shin almost cackled with glee; how naïve was her daughter to not have any copies? "Perfect," she said, exchanging a glance with the butler.

Don't let them leave until that paper is with me.

As she reached to grab it, Minyoung pulled it back, stuffing it into her right pocket and backing away from the desk, back to the box of money next to the butler.

"Think about my offer," Mrs Shin said, composing herself as disappointment washed over her. She was willing to play dirty if it meant not letting this mere young woman keep that evidence, "I'm being generous to you now."

"We don't need your filthy money," Jiho said, getting up, "Do we look like we need you to survive?"

Mrs Shin fixed a cool stare at him. "Last I heard, your name isn't Minyoung."

Jiho's lip twitched.

The chaebol returned her gaze to her daughter. "Make a decision. Time is money," she said, "You will never get another deal like this again."

Minyoung stared at the crisp notes. There had to be at least ten million won in there.

Her mother must have seen the look on her face, because she chuckled. "Is that not insufficient?" she asked, "Name your price. I'd be willing to add more."

Jiho hissed in frustration, seeing the troubled look in his friend's eyes. "Don't listen to her."

Minyoung looked up, reaching into her left pocket. "So if I give you this piece of paper, you'll give me this money?" she murmured, taking out the folded piece of paper from the pocket and staring at it.