; dead men don't walk [doctor who]

d  e  a  d    m  e  n    d  o  n  '  t   w  a  l  k 

                                                  [  r  o  u  n  d    t  w  o  ]

                                                           {doctorwho}

Carrie ducked behind the cubic ventilation system, trying to press her body as closely as she could to the cold metal so that she was not visible at any angle from the other side. Her breath hadn't caught up with her just yet, and she covered her mouth to keep from making too much noise. She was too far ahead in her plan, too close to fail now.

She waited a few beats, trying to steady her breathing and her hearbeat, and listened for the sounds of any movement. As deadly as they were, the creatures that she was facing were not particularly silent. Unless they were waiting for her.

Still, it was a risk she had to take, she could lose her life all the same but this way she'd lose it trying to save millions. If that was good enough for him then it'd be good enough for her. All she'd been doing these months had been following in his example, always questioning her own morals, trying to figure out what he'd do now that he wasn't there to give her a hint.

Slowly, she rose from behind the structure, turning her body to face back to the direction she'd come from. A sigh of relief escaped her parted lips as she saw that the coast was clear.

Knowing that it wouldn't stay that way for long, she quickly gathered her concentration and got to work. The first bit was the most difficult. She'd been expressly shown how to do it, by a brilliant man in fact, not him of course, but a brilliant man all the same.

All she had to do was to reverse the polarity. The transmissions reciever would become a giant transmitter, and if she sent out a sonic pulse loud enough through the transmissions, the machinery would be momentarily stunned (and hopefully knocked off balance) and all living things hearing the sound would experience shock, and could even be deafened.

Combining these two things was enough to let the others put together an actual proper plan, and finish it off for good. A sonic pulse wasn't enough to bring down an army, at least not the one she planned on using. Her purpose served as a very good distraction.

Her job, as it were, was to light the flame they'd use to burn down the whole establishment. Normally one to run from fires, for once Carrie found herself feeling the obligation of standing very still when that urge to run came again. She wasn't sure what he'd do. Her guess was that he'd come up with a different plan, a brilliant one that would have the creatures at checkmate in the blink of an eye.

She knew that she ought to stop thinking about him, but she couldn't help herself. He was the reason why she was here, why she was doing all this. Why she kept fighting even when there seemed to be no hope. He'd never give up, she was sure of that. He wouldn't have given in.

Having disarranged enough red cables and blue cables, she pulled out the replica of his sonic screwdriver, an almost exact duplicate of it's original. She'd been preparing to send out that sonic pulse through the transmitter any second when she heard the voice that belied her impending death.

"You will i-dentify yourself," it's terrible voice croaked. Or did it scream? Carrie had never been able to tell.

It was hard to quite put a name to what was situated inside the heavy metal casing, but when Carrie's eyes, alreadly filled with dread, caught the sight of the things their name echoed wildly in her memory.