14 | dos and don'ts

In cover/graphic making, there are a few simple rules that you must follow for a good graphic/cover and other stuff.

Dos:

1. Explore - You need to explore and be a little creative! Try out different styles, add different textures, use different filters and see what you like best! Don't forget to explore and go out of your comfort zone. If you're always doing simplistic or minimalistic covers, why not try manipulated?

2. Ask for help - Don't be scared to ask for help! There are a ton of graphic makers out there who would simply love to help you make a cover/graphic! Don't be scared to ask for help by of course, you must do it in a polite way.

3. Join Graphic Groups - Now, this is a new advice I'm giving everyone: to join graphic groups. Now, what are graphic groups? Graphic groups are group accounts dedicated to making graphics. A few examples are: GraphicImagines GraphicSilly GuildOfGraphics LeagueofGraphics GraphicSociety and many more. Joining graphic groups can help you make new friends and at the same time, improve on your graphic making.

Don'ts:

1. Cramp your cover - Please, some of you may love bright, beautiful colours and dump a lot of stuff and colourful um stuff and whatnot, but please please please don't put so many things onto your cover. People may get tired of looking at your cover so I advise you to make it simple.

2. Be rude to your cover maker - If someone takes the time to help you make a graphic/cover, the least you can do is to be grateful, right? I've met some people who are totally unappreciative even though the graphic maker spent ages making the 'customer' a trailer. Please, be nice.

3. Take someone's cover and make it your own - Don't steal other people's covers. They've spent time and effort to make the cover and they would not appreciate you stealing their hard work and effort. How would you feel if that happened to you? If you spent time and effort to make a graphic and you see your 'customer' say she/he made it on her/his own?

That's all Melanie got for you today XD