Prologue: A Lengthly Explanation

Start from the beginning

My mind flashed back to remember the sight of Nelonimi twisting through the air. Her scales had been almost pure white with just the faintest of blue tints at the tips. I pictured Unabonan, trying to remember the color of his scales but as hard as I tried, I couldn't remember anything but white.

However, these thoughts were only passing and in no way as important as the pressing matter in front of me. Pursing my lips I turned back to Nathaniel, asking the question that had been burning in my mind as soon as I had seen him.

"Naddy how did you get here?"

He frowned at me. "I honestly  have no idea, I had left home to come after you after you were taken." He scowled fiercely. "As soon as I find those scoundrels that kidnapped you I will make them suffer greatly. No matter what your Father said."

I gasped. "He explained things to you?"

Nathaniel nodded tersely. "Aye, that he did. I didn't make me listen to him anymore though. You were kidnapped by Pirates Circe! Filthy Pirates! How could I not come after you?"

I looked up into his frantic eyes and fought against the wild urge to laugh loudly at his blunt description of Obsidian and Cobalt. Instead, I simply patted his arm, cooling his flaming temper with calming words.

"We will get to that later, what happened after you left home?"

Nathaniel frowned. "I planned to sail to the neighboring city, but it was taking alot longer than usual, the weather was fine and I should have made port in two or three days. However I think I had sailed for almost four days and I still hadn't seen land."

I was suddenly aware that everyone in the room was paying careful attention to what he was saying. Even the Queen had leaned forward slightly, her beautiful face held up with one delicate hand that rested under her chin.

"And then I just remember seeing this girl ..." His voice trailed off and his eyes glazed over slightly.

I looked towards the Queen whose expressionless facade was now marred by the slight crease between her angular brows.

"Tell us what she looked like." She demanded, her voice still soft.

"She had beautiful long red hair, the color of blood it was, so striking ... and her eyes were the blue of a cloudless sky on a summers day and her skin-"

I frowned, confused at his tone. He was speaking of this girl as though he was a man who had seen the light for the first time. The Queen was now frowning more deeply and she beckoned one of her guards forward to whisper something in his ear as Nathaniel continued with his rambling description.

The guard nodded as though in conformation and the Queen leaned back with a satisfied look on her face. She clapped her hands once and Nathaniel stopped talking almost instantly, his eyes snapping back into focus as he glanced around the room with a confused look on his face.

"Do you remember anything else that happened after you saw the girl?" The Queen asked sharply before I could question what was going on.

Nathaniel's eyes took on the dreamy glaze again. "She kissed me ..."

"Just as I thought," the Queen muttered to herself before turning slightly to look directly at me.

"He received a Sirens Kiss." She stated and I gaped at her as she hurriedly continued. "My guards caught a red headed Siren that matches his description, lurking around the entrance to our Kingdom. Our suspicion is that she was a spy, trying to gain access to our water ways for reasons that I do not know. She had this boy with her."

I managed to find my tongue this time and when I did, all of the words tumbled out at once. "She captured Nathaniel? But why? What would she want with him? And how ..." I struggled for a moment, trying to find the words. "How did he even survive? He's a human!"