Chapter Five

“There you are Lilly!”

I walked in with bags of heavy groceries lined up my arms so having Beth hug me wasn’t something I cared for at the moment.

“The bags,” I managed to say.

She got the hint and released me, eyeing the bags suspiciously as I walked over to the counter to drop them off.

“Oh, you went to the store? I was looking for you…” she trailed off, her face a little less perky.

It was obvious she was upset I hadn’t told her, and surprised I had managed to find the grocery store without her.

“Yea, I needed a few things. Hey Beth, is it true that there’s a fair today?”

That was all it took for her to get all excited again. I saw my grandmother wink at me and I smiled. For the next fifteen minutes, I put away the food as Beth gossiped and squealed about things. Though I zoned her out pretty well, I would say the occasional ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ that kept her going.

“So, what are you wearing?”

“Mmhmm,” I replied, not really hearing her.

“What? Hello, Earth-to-Lilly Stone, I said what are you going to wear to the fair?”

Oh.

“Um,” I looked down at the casual outfit I had picked out today, it still looked clean, “Well, I guess this.”

That got me a dramatic sigh and eye roll from Beth. I wish Evie was here, she would have had a nice comeback for that display of enthusiasm.

I sighed, wishing for my best friend, who had doubled as my protective gear.

“Should I change?” I wasn’t one for dressing up, but I didn’t want to ‘not’ fit in.

“Oh, only if you want to!” said an eager Beth as she batted her mascara coated eyelashes.

As I led her to my closet, it became more and more apparent that Beth was treating me like some great conquest or prize that she was preparing to bring back to her friends. She shuffled through my clothes saying things like, “Wait ‘till they see you in this,” and, “This blue would really bring out your eyes.”

I became more concerned as the time passed until finally I mustered enough courage to pause the whirlwind that had taken over my room.

“Beth, it’s just a fair.”

She turned around with a smile that didn’t deceive me one bit, “But first impressions last a lifetime, don’t you want the first time Black Forest sees you to be memorable?”

Not really, but I just sighed and lay back down on my bed.

“Ok, I’m done! How’s this?”

She had put together an outfit consisting of a white cotton tank top, my only jean skirt, and an oversized blue and white striped cardigan. I eyed the skirt apprehensively.

Beth seemed to read my mind, “It’s not too short if that’s what you’re thinking, the thing probably reaches below mid-thigh, hardly even considered a mini-skirt.”

“I don’t know…”

“Oh come on! You got it flaunt it! Anyways, about your hair!”

Before I could protest any further her hands were in my mane scrunching and whisking strands left and right, all the while insisting that the ‘tousled’ look was so ‘in’ right now.

“Ok! Now all we need is cover-up for your neck,” she finished, winking at me conspiratorially, “I don’t remember it being that red yesterday…”