➇

"How does it feel?" Athena crossed her arms over her chest, a smug look on her face

She watched as Marisol scrubbed down the bathroom sink, gagging at the overgrown mold.

"Fuck you," Marisol mumbled, trying not to breath too deep as she continued.

Athena threw her head back as she let out an obnoxious laugh, "I told you, it fucking sucks, doesn't it?"

"Yes, Athena," Marisol rolled her eyes as she answered, "it sucks very much."

"Anyway," Athena leaned her back against the newly cleaned wall, "I may have a new boo."

"Surprise, surprise." Marisol slowly bent down, grabbing the bleack and unscrewing the top.

"No, I swear. This time I'm serious."

Marisol spilled a small amount of bleach onto the sponge, beginning to scrub the inner part of the sink, "Fine, I'm listening."

"Okay, so," her cousin began to explain, in detail, the past three dates she had been on.

She continued to tell how the guy would send a car to come pick her up, that she would then, meet him at a specific place. The first two dates were at restaurants, the third was a bar downtown.

Athena started to describe how he looked, older white male with grey highlights through his hair. He always wore expensive Italian suits, walked with confidence and spoke with a charming charisma.

She bragged about the expensive meals and drinks he had spoiled her with each night.

Marisol chuckled, "Where did you meet this guy again?"

"Tinder," The girl answered, popping a piece of gum in her mouth.

Marisol began to laugh, making Athena give her a questioning look.

"What?" The girl asked, "What's so funny?"

"That's a sugar daddy dumb ass."

As Athena came to the realization, the obnoxious buzzing from Marisol's phone filled the room.

Marisol slowly stripped off the blue latex gloves, grabbing the phone from her back pocket and putting it to her ear.

"Hello?"

"I found her!" Monse shouted on the other line, making Marisol flinch from the loudness of her voice.

She waited until the pain stopped to put the phone back, "Found who?"

"Mom! I found her! Julia is our mother! She lives in Brentwood, she has a husband and two ki-"

Marisol immediately cut her sister off, her anger that had been stored away for years, quickly began to bubble over. "Monse, I already told you that I didn't want anything to do with this shit. I'm hanging up now."

"But, I actually found her!" Monse explained, pure excitement in her tone, "She wants to see you-"

Marisol hung up, groaning as she put the phone back in her pocket.

"What happened?" Athena questioned cautiously, seeing how pissed Marisol became.

Her hands begin to shake uncontrollably as she quickly packed up the cleaning supplies, spilling water everywhere on the floor.

Marisol pushed past her cousin, roughly hitting her shoulder as she opened the storage room door. She threw the supplies in their former spot without care, before slamming the door shut, "My mom's back."

The rest of Marisol's shift went fast considering all she was focused on was what Monse had said. All she could see was the color red as she let her anger settle into her skin.

Who did Selena think she was?

After twelve, extremely long and lonely, years, how could she even dare to ask to see her?

Marisol thought about how stupid her sister was for even seeking out Selena in the first place, how could she do that to their father?

When Selena decided to leave, their father became their mother.

Selena no longer existed.

Marisol couldn't stop her hands from shaking and her leg from bouncing up and down as she sat outside, waiting for Oscar to pick her up.

As soon as he pulled up, Marisol entered the car in silence and when he greeted her, she ignored him, simply putting the seatbelt over her.

"You okay?" Oscar asked her, but like before, she didn't answer back. The girl just nodded, her eyes fixed on what was going on outside of the window. He decided to let the conversation go as he began driving towards her house.

A couple of moments would pass before he'd look over at her, hoping she would change her mind and talk to him. But, she didn't, she just continued to blankly stare at the houses they passed.

Marisol noticed they were getting closer to her house and abruptly told Oscar to pull over.

He did.

"What's wrong?" He questioned.

"Can we go to your place?" Marisol asked, shocking the Santo.

He squinted his eyes at her, "Why?"

"I don't want to go home right now," she shrugged, knowing that once she did, she would have to deal with her father and Monse.

Oscar hesitated, she was definitely angry about something, and somewhat sad. Oscar knew he wasn't easily going to be able to get her to talk about it so he nodded, "Fine."

athena is my baabbbyyy and i cant wait to interpret more of her character in this story her character is kind of sad tbh ):