01 | Santa Barbara, California

Chapter 1

Santa Barbara, California

Mariam's POV:

"hate no one no matter how much they have wronged you. live humbly, no matter how wealthy you become. think positively no matter how hard life is. give much even if you have been given little keep in touch with the ones who have forgotten you and forgive who has wronged you and do not stop praying for the best for those you love." Fatima patted my shoulder.

I remembered it , it was Hadith Ali Ibn Abi Talib RA.

"You shouldn't hate your mother even if she abandoned you, Maybe she had her reasons and just forgive and forget and start praying for her" Fatima gave me a reassuring smile.

I rolled my eyes at her, I couldn't believe what she was saying.

Fatima was my stepmother usually a stepmother would be a wicked witch with a stick but mine isn't she was the one who practically raised me, she always lifted me up when I was down and always remind me of who I should be as a person, My father married her when she was 23 but she manged to continue her PHD and still raise us well , she didn't use book to deal with us as she always reminded me and my siblings that the only book she needed to guide us threw life was the Quran.

"But why should I , she didn't do anything to deserve it and beside she is a foreign to me and I forget to mention she is kafira (not Muslim) ?" I turned to her waiting for her to explain.

"Because she is your mother , and paradise lies under her feet and it doesn't matter what religion she follows what matter is that.. she is your mother "She smiled. I rolled my eyes and almost gagged at her cheesy answer. I didn't respond back because I was done with this conversation. I hated the fact that she wanted me to travel halfway across the world and live there. I am sure I was going to miss home , my best friends and my family.

I am so not prepared to live in a new country where the only thing I knew about it came from Tv shows and movies and go to a new school. I was definitely not prepared to live with my "new family".

" salaam alaikum" My dad pulling my out of my thoughts.

"Are you ready , Dalal and Yasmine are on their way to pick you up"  I could see how frustrated he was that I was leaving like that. He was the one who I count on after Allah Subḥānahu wa ta'alā but I told him that I could protect myself , He wanted to go with me to the airport and drive me himself but I told him that my cousins could do that and since he trusted my cousin Yasmine, he didn't mind.

I nodded as I kissed his forehead and said goodbye.

I don't blame my dad for all of this. He fell in love with a women who was with him in college and he was astonished by her looks and didn't care much about what was inside and was happy for a a little while but then he noticed the different characters that they had and that they could never be happy together but sadly they continued and after I was born.My dad wanted to return to Kuwait but she didn't leave with him so then my dad married my stepmother.

A porsche pulled up. My cousins jumped out of the car with a big smile on their face. they greeted my mom and helped me pack my bags and put them in the car, My mom gave me the Quran and told me to not forget what we they taught me and my little siblings , Ahmad and Aisha told me to take care and to not forget their gifts when I come back not even caring about me leaving they thought it was just a trip and I will come back soon. I already said my goodbyes yesterday to the rest of my family, before I went to the car.

In the car I played Rashid Al Majid Allah Kareem and I enhanced the volume.

I was so into the music and then suddenly...

" You should be happy , You are going to live in America and find the blonde boy that you always dreamed about" I laughed a little at Yasmine statement , when we were children we would imagine what our husbands would be and I would always say a blonde but that's only because I knew that I would hardly find it in Kuwait and by that people would stop nagging me about prince charming as I never imagined one. My education was more important to me than anything and When I used to say America what I meant was that it would be great to go to just for a month or two not live in it.

"Come on cheer up" Sara said as she pushed my shoulder playfully and she went to the radio and lowered the volume of the music that was playing.

"Speak !!" They both demanded at the same time.

I blurted out , " IT doesn't feel real at all , I feel like I am living in a nightmare".

A year ago, If you had told me that my mother didn't die , I would have laughed in your face  and then slammed your face because all my life I believed that my mother died giving birth to me and that's what my dad had told me and know I am sitting in the car going to the airport to meet my mom.

They looked at each other quickly before they answered me.

" Well you should say alhamdulillah for everything, and you never know maybe your life their will turn up good and beside didn't you want to study aboard this is your chance to see if you would like it or not" Yasmine stated.

"I have been there a couple of times , its great and Their shopping malls are not that bad" Sara spoke as she just parked beside the airport gate.

" Don't forget to open Skype and call us when you get there or just send us a message in whatsapp " Yasmine said as she gave me a quick hug.

" And please try to smile there and don't act stupid because you will no longer be known as Mariam there you will be known and judged as a an Arabic girl." Yasmine continued.

" And don't forget to hook us up if you find blonde guys there" Sara said joking around as Yasmine quickly hit her on the back of her head.

I rolled my eyes at my two cousins as I took my luggage and went to my gate. I didn't know why I was laughing am I laughing at my idiots cousins or what exactly.

**********

This is my first fan fiction. This is simply a unique and fun modern twist on love stories, soely for fun. I'm writing this for my enjoyment, but if you like it too then that's even better!