Captain Addresses the Crew Part 29

"Shipmates of the Helena, we've made very good time and all has gone smoothly. Much of our success is due to your hard work and loyalty for which you'll be receiving a bonus when we have safely deposited our cargo back in Charleston three months hence. Soon you'll be getting three nights liberty in a little seaside village near Havana with plenty of rum and I hear the local girls like the merchant service almost as much as we do." The crew gave a hearty laugh.

"Captain why don't you come along with us? We'll show a good time!" said Botswain's Mate Harmon Scott.

"Oh thank ye for the invite but not this time lads. I have other business to attend. A ship's captain must attend always to the business of the ship but one day lads, one day when the hold is not full and my worries are lifted, then I'll join ye and we'll have a whale of a time men!"

"Yes sir we will," said many of the crew.

"Right you are thar captain," Wright said.

"Okay now boys, I just want to say that, don't expect too much at this little jungle seaside mud hole - it's not even on the map," Pendleton said. "It's a half day's journey from Havana by horse so, if you decide to go to the city, be sure you get back on time. I suggest you stay in the village. I'd been there once in my younger days before the mast and it's a pretty little spot. It's no Kingston or Havana, I can tell you that, but you can still have a good time. You all deserve it. What you can expect is free rum! There'll be barrels mixed with fruit juice on the beach for those of you who are new to drinking, but for the rest, the rum'll be straight and hard, and I'm a'referring to you old salts who like your coffee black, your beards full and your rum old and bold. I purchased only the best for my boys - good Jamaican rum, dark, sweet and aged, men, aged I say, just like some of you old salts.

"So enjoy yourselves but remember, drink as much as you can reasonably drink in three days and no more. I want no member of this crew wandering back to the ship a drunken idiot or drinking themselves nearly to death. Each of you will be coupled with one of your mates and the two are responsible for one another's health and in any and all dealings with the natives. We want to be welcome next time we arrive after this occasion so let's treat the natives responsibly. Anyone who comes back too drunk to do his duty on the third day or who has abused any of the villagers won't be fit to sail on any ship of mine. So you'll then force me to leave you off in the village when we do sail. And we won't be back there any time soon. So be responsible men like I know ye will be. Come back reasonably sober and fit to sail unless you want an extended vacation and an unpaid one at that! Such idiots will also miss out on their final payment when we land in Charleston. The good news is that their pay will be split by the rest of the crew."

This brought a rousing cheer by the men. "So mind ya, make sure ye sober up on your third day of liberty," said the captain. "Do your boozing in the first two days and return able-bodied seamen like your contract calls for. Also, no seaman is to return to the ship during the first two days and nights of liberty as we will be having important guests aboard. You may return at seven in the morning on the third day if you like. But I hardly think any of you will be wanting to do that. The best news perhaps is that all crew members judged to have been hard working and loyal to their captain will receive a bonus of $100 after disembarking in Charleston.

At hearing that news the crew cheered wildly. "Also men, you no doubt noticed that we have a new executive officer, Mr. Samuel Wright, who is replacing Mr. Jenkins, a man who has proven himself to be a conspirator and a traitor. On the other hand, Mr. Wright has proved himself in two voyages to be a loyal, capable man. That means he is second in command lads. Obey his order like it was mine. And we can shut the rumor mill down now about the arrests of the cook, the blacksmith, the cooper and, most unfortunately, the former chief mates - yes, Mr. Hawkins and Mr. Jenkins. All were found to be in collusion to revolt on this ship, to steal the company's cargo and sell if for their own profit - they'd be stealing silver and gold right out of your hand mates, your profits.

"I've ordered a separate compartment in the hold built especially for these men until they stand trial on the open sea, and we pass judgement upon them," said Pendleton. "That we'll do very soon, certainly before we return to the states, so we can get that business over with fair and square. We are still collecting evidence against them as their plot unfolds a little more each day. If any man has information as to this conspiracy, please inform Mr. Wright. Your assistance will not go unrewarded. That is all. Oh yes, one more thing lads: nobody other than those specially assigned is to have any contact with anyone in the slave hold, neither white man nor black man. If you break that rule, you will join them. So let's get to work now. And soon you'll go off and have a good time and we'll leave it at that. That is all. And let's have a pleasant, profitable, and, most of all, an industrious voyage men."

The men gave him a rousing cheer. Later that afternoon, the first shift headed below to get some rest and to start filling their sea bags so that'd be ready to go ashore when the time came. Just after the captain finished, three members of the crew who hated Jenkins and had long looked for an excuse to undermine him approached Wright and said they too had information for the captain.

"What do you have?" Wright said.

"Sorry sir, but we want to tell this only to the captain."

"Nobody goes to the captain without going through me first, better get that straight before you and I begin to tangle," said Wright. "You heard the captain, my order is his order. Take care you don't do anything behind my back then. Now what have you got Smith?"

"Sir we overheard Jenkins - while in the company of Master at Arms Foster in the Pirate's Cove - a dingy little bar back in Kingston - a'braggin' to the first mate 'bout how they was going to take the ship over. He called for mutiny. He said - and these are Mr. Jenkins' words sir, not mine, and Mr. Foster said nothin' sir so he wasn't really involved in Jenkin's mutiny plan - he said the captain was a "good-for-nothing scoundrel who takes all the profits from the slave-tradin' and gives his crew crumbs." Seaman Smith had been the blacksmith's mate and Wright told him the captain would consider appointing him the chief blacksmith, with the pay increase that came with it.

"What about us?" said seaman Bridges, "What do we get out of it?" referring to himself and seaman Atkins. "We heard the same thing."

"Well men, if your testimony at the trial holds, I'm sure I will be able to make a generous accommodation. Leave it to me. Trust me boys and you'll do alright. Don't be a'bringin' it up to the captain now. I'll take care of that. Thank ye men. Back to work now. And keep your eyes and ears open for any mutiny talk!"

"Right sir, thank you sir," said Seaman Bridges. The others also expressed their gratitude.