The Plot Part 9

"I tried to tell you, captain sir, it wasn't any use," Hawkins told Pendleton in the captain's cabin. "I knew he wasn't going to keep quiet. He's not the type. He can't be bought off neither and he hasn't shut up one bit. You said last night when he refused the money, 'leave him alone a few days and see what happens.' Well he now is revealing to the crew the bribe we tried to give him. That's what he was doing up on the forecastle."

"Oh! Really. He told the crew that! Well, it's true. You were right and I was wrong," the captain said, sipping a tin of coffee amidst a breakfast of toast and fish chowder. "What do you propose I do now, sir?"

"Sir, do nothing sir. Let me handle it captain. Tonight Captain. You don't need to know any details. But I can promise you sir, that meddling, abolitionist scum whose mother mated with a bloody barnacle won't be singing any tunes tomorrow morning unless it be to the sharks and barracuda."

"Yes. You're quite right here," said the captain. "It is what my partner would want. I would never condone it myself. But he would insist that the mission not be jeopardized. He would heartily say, 'Feed him to the sharks!' So be it my good fellow. To the sharks then! Feed him to the sharks!

"By the way what is that red mark upon your face, did you slip on the deck during your chat with the good Mr. Whittemore?" the captain asked.

"He dared raise his hand 'gain me, Captain."

"Oh, I see, I see. Well then, striking a superior officer on the high seas. That we cannot abide there sir, we cannot abide that. Then he deserves his fate doesn't he Mr. Hawkins," said Pendleton.

"Yes captain. He sure does at that sir! The good Master Whittemore will get what's coming to him, sir. Don't ye worry a bit about that!"