Kingston, Jamaica Part 13

Two days later we entered the port of Kingston, on Jamaica's south side. A crew of carpenters came aboard to help our chief carpenter and carpenter's mate build a new deck in the hold. I was curious about this and asked one of the newcomers what was it for.

"Slaves, I guess. What else?" he replied.

I looked at the height of the deck and told the carpenter, "But no one can survive a sea voyage in that cramped space. Can't you make it bigger?"

"Nope. Four feet high is as big as you'll see on a slaver. They don't want them to stand up. The idea is to keep'em weak and starving so they won't be in a condition to start any trouble."

"Are there slaves here that'll be a'coming aboard," I asked.

"Nah. Ain't no slaves coming aboard no ship on this island if the government has any say in it. Slavery's been illegal in Jamaica since 1834 just like in England and the rest of the British Empire. Nope. Probably pick up your Negroes in Cuba or Africa. The captain probably wants to build this here deck now so things will be ready to run nice and smooth when you get there mate."

"Why do you build these things for slaver captains if you know what they're going to be used for?" I asked.

"Don't care what they're used for mate. I'm just a carpenter. I just hammer nails into boards and build things and try to keep my nose clean. Know what I mean? That's my job. My boss says do it and I do it. Just like you. Why'd you sign on a slaver? You seem like you don't like it much but, boy, you are on a slave ship. You better get ship shape."