Chapter 9

© Sandra Corton 2013

Chapter 9

The rest of the week proved to be excruciatingly uncomfortable. He avoided her during the daylight hours with not a word said between them. He went back to hiding in his study. Every night she slept in her own bed but knew that he was still watching her closely.

Saturday brought excitement with her family coming to visit. She had missed them intently. Even though she had called them every day, needing the connection to them. Her phone was constantly in use as she rang them, Polly and a few of her other friends.

She needed company and received none from Aiden. He had avoided her every meal time but she knew he had been feeding. She often smelled different scents floating near his room; it seemed to linger in the air, constantly mocking her.

He didn't want her blood but was quite happy to accept some stranger’s blood. It made rejection rush thorough her. She felt as though there was something wrong with her. He had a free meal right here and yet not only would he not partake, he was deliberately ignoring it.

On God now she was back to thinking about what it would be like to have those fangs of his anywhere near her throat. She shivered as her body reacted to the erotic images her mind kept throwing at her.

She forced herself to think of these other women. She felt oddly jealous of these random strangers he took blood from. What did they have that she didn't? She often thought as those strange perfume smells surrounded his room. She kept feeling frustrated about him but wasn't sure if she should say anything else. After all she had offered her blood to him that seemed all that she could do.

A noise outside the quiet house caught her attention so she went to the door. Her family, her wonderful parents and sisters had her throat closing over with how much she had missed them.

She flung the door open wide and rushed to envelop them in hugs. She had missed them all so much; even her sisters most annoying habits didn't seem so bad now. Everything became right in her world at that moment.

He heard the laughter, the joy and the family atmosphere as he jerked awake with a pounding heart. He couldn't figure out what was going on. Family, his heart ached for a family that cared. A family that saw him beyond the monster that he was.

With a sigh he pushed himself out of bed and went to shower, sure that he was dreaming. He scrubbed himself clean and even shaved as he tried to push so many hurtful memories away from him. The family noises were still there when he was fully dressed so he decided to explore.

He stopped in the doorway of the dining room where a veritable feast sat on the table. Around the table all different shades of blonde hair were bowed over their plate silently before the talking started again.

Honey, sweet Honey who he had been desperate to avoid these last few days was the first one to notice him. She scowled for the count of a breath before gesturing him to enter with the wave of a hand.

She was incredibly forgiving which he didn't deserve an ounce of. He berated himself as he stepped into the room while plastering a smile on his face. Her family greeted him happily and he knew she hadn't mentioned what an asinine arse he had been. She really was far too good for him.

"So how has your first week been?" Hannah asked her sister with a very unsubtle wink towards Aiden.

"Busy. I went to see the gatehouse Rosie left me and it’s really cute." Honey answered, not daring to look anywhere near Aiden.

"We haven't talked about the changes you wanted." He said hoping that Honey would talk to him.

"Well you haven't really given me a chance now have you?" Honey replied sweetly as she glanced towards him and then away.

She went back to talking to her sister Brooke then and completely ignored him. He deserved it, what a monumental jerk he had been to her these last few days.

"Perhaps after lunch we could take your family over and show them your property." He interrupted her and she forced a smile towards him.

"That's a great idea Aiden." Honey's Dad answered, not once noticing the awkward tension between them.

"Thank you Jim." Aiden told the man with a nod.

"I hope it's not too far a walk." Brooke said with a frown scrunching her small, pale face. "My hips are killing me this week." Aiden looked at the young girl in surprise. How could someone so young be having pain in her hips?

"We will drive over there sweetie." Honey assured her sister with a smile.

The chatter continued as Aiden puzzled over Brooke's remark. It wasn't until they all left the table and Brooke took up a walking frame that Aiden could understand. It seemed that every step the child took gave her pain but she determinedly kept moving. His heart went out to this small, pale girl that seemed to be struggling through life.

"You okay there Brookie?" Honey asked as she moved at a slower pace to match her sisters

"You know it! Slow as a turtle bit watch out for my ninja skills." Brooke chortled to herself.

"Don't I know it!" Honey backed away as though her sister was going to attack her and then they both laughed.

Aiden watched from afar feeling both envy for their relationship and sympathy for the girls suffering. He now understood Rosie's motivation for giving Honey the property that she did.