Chapter 7

© Sandra Corton 2013

Chapter 7

She awoke in a room that was strange and unusual to her. It looked nothing like her bedroom at home that was soft and feminine. This looked like a man’s room. Everything came back to her then. Aiden, the nightmare, the red eyes and how he had been sweet enough to tuck her in.

She pushed herself up in the bed and rubbed her eyes. Disappointment engulfed her when he wasn’t lying next to her or even in the room. Dear God she was lying in her boss’s bed on the first night that she was living in his house! She groaned in mortification before quickly removing herself from his room and running to her own. She stopped at the door to find a note taped to it.

“Honey, if you want you can go and visit the gatehouse today. I have left directions on the bottom of this note for how to get there. You are quite welcome to take any car in the garage; the keys are on the wall. I would like your opinion on what you think needs to be improved. That building has been unused for many years now. I shall be back this afternoon, Aiden.”

She felt that discontent feeling again that he wouldn’t be here. She was glad though that with the day dawning, she felt safer. The red eyes would certainly haunt her at night she knew that much. Tonight though she would stay in her own room, she was determined about that much.

Later she followed his directions and found the gatehouse with ease. It was really a small, quaint cottage that she could easily see herself living in. She approached the building only to find workers already inside the building toiling away.

“Well hello there! You must be Miss Combes. Aiden told us you might come for a visit today.” A jovial middle aged man said to her. He was of a solid and rather intimidating build. His smile welcomed her though so she took his offered hand.

“Please call me Honey.” She said as his rough, callused hand grasped her firmly.

“Well I must tell you I’ve not been allowed to call anyone honey except for the missus.” He chortled a bit.

”That’s my first name, so I think your wife will be okay with calling me that.” Honey forced a smile, having had this conversation too many times before. She once again cursed about being given such a stupid name.

“I see well then I’m Drake Waterford. Aiden has put me and my men in charge of fixing up your nice new home.” He gestured to the building behind them. ”C’mon in and I’ll show you around.”

Honey was surprised by the size of the building once she was inside. It was quite open planned with the kitchen, dining and lounge rooms all rolling smoothly into each other. There was a spectacular view of surrounding bush land from huge glass doors at the back of the property which she instantly loved. It had one good sized bedroom with a smaller room that she could use as a study.

Overall she knew that she had fallen completely in love with the little old cottage. She could see its potential in everything Drake pointed out to her. She was ultra-excited when she drove back to Aiden’s house. She couldn’t wait to tell him all the ideas she had for her little cottage.

She got home to find he hadn’t returned. Her exuberance drained out of her straight away when she noticed only a huge wad of cash on the kitchen counter. The note with it said simply ‘for groceries’. With a sigh she decided that was what she would tackle next.

With arm loads of heavy groceries she staggered to the front door. She cursed as she searched for the keys that Aiden had given her the day before. She sensed his presence once she was in the house. He was here and yet he hadn’t bothered to offer her any assistance! She was a bit miffed at that.