Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"Hi. Not sleeping?"

"Not feeling up to it right now. I decided to try knitting again. It's not working too well."

"Mmm." He sat down, rubbing his neck, and sighed.

"Long day?"

"You could say that."

"It's one am, darling. You need sleep."

He shrugged. "I haven't been doing much of that lately."

He felt her warm hands on his neck and shoulders, beginning to massage him, and he sighed, closing his eyes. "That's it, right there," he mumbled.

"You're tense," she breathed.

"I'd be surprised if I weren't."

"Any way I can help?"

"There's probably a couple," he responded, leaning back and landing on her lap, looking up at her. "Of course, that's your choice."

"Very funny," she said. "Why don't you take your shirt off, and I'll find the oil, give you a massage?"

"Oh, if you're that desperate, then sure," he said, trying for a smile but ending up with a sort of grimace.

"What's wrong, bluejay?"

He sighed. "Just... Ellie. She's too young. She's fifteen, for God's sake."

"She'll be sixteen soon-"

"That's still too young. I only had my first kiss when I was seventeen, and she's already had sex."

Ryan kept massaging his shoulders, and he sighed. "Are we cut out for this?"

"For what?"

"To be parents?" He laughed sadly. "I mean, I've done a crap job of it so far, haven't I?"

"Don't say that, that's not true," she said. "You're an incredible father."

"I just..." He sighed, turning around to face her. "I dunno."

"You're perfect," she said gently. "I love you more than I can find a way to say to you, my darling."

He nodded, and she simply hugged him. She felt his tears soaking into her hair. "I'm not crying," he said in a choked voice.

"I know you aren't," she assured him. "Don't worry. I know. It's okay."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be."

He pulled away, stroking her cheek, and gave her a watery smile. "You look beautiful tonight."

She wiped his tears without a word, and kissed his cheek. "How was your day?"

"I've been better. The media kept calling the company, asking for an over-the-phone interview with me. The sooner we do the tour, the better- they can't contact me as easily when I'm on tour."

"What have you told them so far?"

"They asked why Elle was adopted, if Lilly faked her pregnancy belly. I haven't answered them. If I tell them, the hospital will be in trouble."