Rule #12: As Long As You Love Me

There was something poking my eyes. Needles, I think. Wincing, I attempted to open my eyes and immediately stopped as someone hit my head with a hammer. Holy cheese on crackers, OUCH.

“What do you think is going on?” The voice sounded familiar as it permeated the haze I was drowning in.

A couple of whispers followed the statement, and once again I attempted to open my eyes. After some Herculean effort, they opened slightly, enough to realize that the needles were rays of sunlight. Okay, cool. Needles equal sunlight. And hammer equals…?

Crud. I was hammered. Big time.

Moaning, I turned over and the voices immediately hushed. My mouth was full of something that oddly felt like hair. Opening my eyes easier now, the blurry image of my mother swam in front of my eyes. Yeah, I definitely need more sleep.

Trying to move my legs, I realized I couldn’t. Completely opening one eye and tilting my head up while ignoring the pain, I saw a long leg thrown over mine. A long leg attached to… Audrey?

I got up on my elbows. Audrey was snuggled into me, her leg falling off mine. The movement made her grumble and furrow her eyebrows in her sleep. Well, this wasn’t exactly unnatural. Audrey and I had slept together many times before. Nothing to be concerned about, unless-

Holy cheese on crackers. She wasn’t wearing the dress she wore last night. She was wearing my clothes. Looking down at myself, I almost got a heart attack.

I was wearing her freaking dress.

My jaw dropped, the gears in my mind whirring at an obscene speed. Wait, wait a minute. Rewind. Whose house is this?

“Adam, honey?”

I stilled. Okay, so maybe I wasn’t dreaming my mom. Looking over my shoulder, my eyes widened in shock as I saw my laptop open to my Skype, my mom on the screen. “Er, mom,” I said, my voice hoarse. “Hi?”

Mom’s worried face grew closer to the screen as she presumably moved her chair forward. “Adam, honey, why were you calling me in the middle of the night?”

I blinked. It looked like daylight to me. And, okay, so we were home. Great. Now we need to know how we got from Starbucks to here. Screw this, somebody go call up Dora.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t answer. Is everything okay?” Her voice and expression were both frantic. And they were both making my head hurt even more.

I scratched my head, sitting up properly to lean against the headboard and brushing out Audrey’ hair from my mouth. Bringing the blanket to my shoulders, I focused on the computer. “Shush for a bit, mum,” I said, closing my eyes to block the pounding of my head. Opening them again, I frowned. “I don’t think there’s some emergency. I, uh, well, sorry for disturbing you.”

She shook her head disapprovingly and pushed her reading glasses up her nose, squinting. “Hold on, is that-? Oh.

There was a movement from beside me and I saw Audrey lift her head, her eyes unfocused as they fixed on me. “Adam?” her voice croaked out.

Two audible gasps emitted from my speakers. Both Audrey and I turned to see both our mothers staring at us in complete shock.

There was complete silence for a few minutes, only disturbed by the chirping of birds from my window screen. I relished the quiet, realizing the pain had quieted down to a dull throbbing. Dammit, I couldn’t even get out of bed to get a Tylenol.