Rule #10: I Don't Wanna Go To Bed Mad At You

Rule #10: I Don’t Wanna Go To Bed Mad At You

“His nose is perfect, Audrey,” I said for the billionth time, looking at our completed Arthur-man. Or Arthur-aardvark. Snow-Arthur-aardvark. Ah, screw it.

He scowled at me. “Two olives don’t count as a nose. Not unless you want my entire Facebook thinking Arthur’s boogers are being mixed with blood and if you come over for dinner at our house you’ll get his nose served to you with your salad.”

“And this is precisely why you should be kept far, far away from social networking.” I grimaced at the mental images she gave me. It was enough for me to resignedly remove the olives and stick two pebbles in their place.

“Happy now?”

“Abso-freaking-lutely.” Her teeth were white like the snow.

“You know, I’m betting Snow White was named Snow White because of her teeth. Her skin looked yellow to me,” I thought out loud, my mind drifting.

“Huh?”

“Poor girl probably had jaundice or something. Oh, snap, maybe the apple wasn’t even poisoned? She probably fainted from weakness, and – and the Prince had drugs in his mouth which he placed into her mouth to get her high enough to marry him!” Snapping my fingers, I rounded on Audrey, grabbing her by the shoulders and shaking her, my eyes wide. “Don’t you see?” I sat down on the balcony floor, ignoring the wet snow seeping through the seat of my pants. “The queen wasn’t evil at all!”

Audrey was staring at me with her jaw hanging open. “Adam, I think you’ve finally lost it,” she said, smirking slightly as she shook her head.  

I held up a hand, closing my eyes. “Shh. Dude. I just blew my own mind. I think it’s the snow,” I said wonderingly, picking up the magic stuff with my bare hands.

“Yeah, it’s definitely the snow. Your brain must have been frozen over.”

I pouted at her, getting up and stretching. “Well I for one am glad I’m off work today. Think I’m going to go update the blog and talk to Sam for a bit.”

Audrey turned to me in the midst of putting Arthur’s glasses (my old geeky ones) on the sculpture. “Man, I really want to see your blog,” she complained.

I ruffled her air before she could smack my hand away and laughed. “Soon, you will. Alright, my nose is falling off. You get inside soon, too, okay?”

She nodded with a grunt and continued working on Arthur as I slipped inside, removing my boots. Keeping the jacket on even though it was dripping melting snow to the ground, I sat on the table and powered up the laptop.

A.F: Hey, Sam! How’d your art exhibit go?

S.M: Good.

A.F: I wish I could have been there. You conveniently forgot to give me the address again, didn’t you?

S.M: Mm, yeah.

A.F: So what’s up?

Samantha has logged out.

I stared at the words for a bit, before blinking and closing the chat. That was weird. Sam never just left like that. She was probably tired. Or occupied. Or moody. God help me if it was all three.

I was so engrossed in typing out the next post I didn’t notice Audrey had come in until she shoved a cup of warm cocoa under my nose. Her phone was under her ear and she mouthed ‘Drink up!’ at me before sitting beside me, still talking to the person on the line.

“You think so? Yeah, definitely something in his drink,” she chuckled. My ears pricked up as my obvious best friend instincts kicked in at the mention of a male in her conversation.