Chapter Four: Generosity

Start from the beginning

Yes, where were Emma and Drake, the people who had been fawning all over the child not a day before? He expected Emma might have gone out to get clothes for the girl, but his brother was nowhere in sight. From the smell of it, they had been in the room not long before he arrived.

It seemed the young doctor didn't have a clue on who Van was as he replied, "your brother...?"

Van had to control his twitching hand from springing out and ripping this man's throat out. "Doctor Volkov," he spat.

His beady burgundy coloured eyes flashed with recognition. "Oh! He's in emergency surgery right now, so I'm here in his stead. I'm Doctor Barlow."

Van nodded. He didn't need any more information and simply brushed passed the clueless doctor, grabbed a chair from the corner, and sat by the human child as she slept. Van had to admit; the human looked like an average enough child without all those tubes and wires in her.

"Ex-excuse me, sir," the human stuttered.

Shit, what did he want now? Van never even glanced at the pathetic human. He was too busy thinking of ways to drag the idiot's body to the mortuary without being noticed. He supposed he could just shift into his lycan form and let Konstantin deal with it, but that would most likely take out the whole building with his size and weight. Though, with one bite, he wouldn't have to worry about hiding the body. Uh, human flesh did taste so bland though.

"There's a problem with the child's medical bills and Doctor Volkov isn't here," he muttered, handing Van a clipboard with the necessary paperwork. The Russian simply glanced at him, but didn't bother touching the object the moron tried to shove into his hands.

"Chert'," Van muttered, cursing to high heavens. "Just charge it to the Volkov Franchise."

When he had filled out the form to claim for Aira Blight, he had used his name, but it seemed there had been a problem with the claim. He didn't want to deal with this fool for any longer than necessary.

He plainly heard the nervous gulp the doctor took. "Ah, would-would Doctor Volkov mind that? I heard your brother has a bit of temper when it comes to charging funds to his group. I don't want to annoy him with it."

Who was this idiot on about?

"Doctor Volkov's brother?"

"Van Volkov? We've worked with him before with other patients, and I know it can be a nightmare dealing with finances in regard to his company," he explained, looking a little less pale this time.

The tangible sweat that was forming on Barlow's forehead was quite amusing. It was interesting how some humans would sweat when they were nervous or frightened.

"I don't think you could annoy him any more then you already have, Doctor," Van growled. Oh, but he was going to enjoy destroying this stupid human when no one was around.

The noticeable surprise on the doctor's face was evidence enough that he was now aware of the person sitting before him. Van had to admit that it was quite entertaining to watch that horrified expression wash over the doctors already face.

He looked Van over before nodding nervously. "I-I'm sorry, sir. I'll fix it right now," he stuttered before scattering to exit the room.

Van smirked, trying to hold back his chuckle as he said, "And get this girl a private room."

Throughout the whole discussion, Van could make out the silent glances he was getting from the two mothers fawning over their own children in the room. With lack of funds for the hospital, children were put into rooms with other sick children. It was disgusting in his opinion, only because he had to be in the same room as the child he had saved.