The City from Above

Start from the beginning

"Alright... What do you want me to do Tsubaki?"

The surprised look that he received from Tsubaki made Mahiru realise that he hadn't expected him to actually help him out.
But the surprise soon vanished from his face and instead he was now grinning, seemingly elated by Mahiru's willingness to help him.

"Hm~ How about we take a walk?"

It took Mahiru a few seconds to grasp the meaning of the request and after that the only thing he could muster up was a heavy sigh.
He didn't know how much he had sighed lately, but he did know that it was definitely too much.

"It's around 3 in the morning, why in the world would we take a walk now? I just want to get back to sleep as soon as possible."

"But you just said that you'd help me out."

There it was again.
That expression that made Mahiru's insides twist with guilt.
He just couldn't hold his ground against the vampire.
When he averted his eyes after a silent battle of resistance against Tsubaki's attempts of guilt-tripping him, the other knew he had won.

"Now then, let's go!"

-

The town was eerily quiet this early in the morning. The sound of engines from downtown was only background noise and Mahiru didn't really pay attention to it as they walked along the streets.
It was too late for people to still be outside after a night of drinking and simultaneously too early for people to have to head to work just yet, so the two of them were basically alone.
It was a strange feeling for Mahiru. He only ever went out during the day, when the streets were filled with at least a handful of people that were hurrying somewhere or just chatting with some friends.

You were never really alone on the streets of a city.

At least that was how Mahiru had felt about it until now. But right now, with the dark sky above, the usual sounds of people swallowed by the night and no one on the streets it was as if they had entered another world.
A world in which only the two of them existed, walking along empty roads in silence.
It filled him with some kind of detachment and he was feeling lighter than during the day.
Almost as if he could just start floating towards the sky.

"It's amazing."

He didn't realize he said it out loud until Tsubaki stopped next to him and regarded him with a curious look.
Mahiru struggled to find the right words to describe what he felt. But under the light of a street lantern the words just didn't find the way to his mouth. He just couldn't express the way he felt at the moment properly.

Tsubaki seemed to understand though, since he gave Mahiru a small smile. However that smile only lingered for a moment before stretching into a full blown smirk and then they were suddenly ten feet in the air, Tsubaki's arms holding Mahiru to his chest.
The latter's brain didn't even have the time to process what was happening before they were already landing on a nearby roof. From there they jumped to the next and the next, each time on one that was higher than the one before.

When they finally stopped Tsubaki set Mahiru down and he was grateful that he didn't let go of him since he doubted he would be able to stand on his own.
After taking a few shaky breaths Mahiru signaled Tsubaki that he was able to stand on his own, but the other didn't loosen his grip. Instead Mahiru felt him rest his chin on his shoulder from behind, his arms still holding him against his chest.

"Look, Mahiru. Isn't this amazing?" Tsubaki whispered and Mahiru finally raised his head to look over the edge of the roof.
Below them was the city, sparkling with light and Mahiru was stunned by the view. He had never seen the city like this, from so high above the ground at night.

"It's beautiful."

Mahiru really meant it. The sight from one of the skyscrapers was beyond breathtaking. It was almost enough to forgive the other for keeping him awake during the nights.
When he told Tsubaki this, he let out a laugh and finally let go of Mahiru in favour of turning him around so they were facing each other.

"This wasn't enough to make you forgive me?" He said in fake shock before the corners of his mouth twisted upwards into a faint smile.

"Then how about this?"

Tsubaki leaned forward, one hand reaching out to cup Mahiru's cheek, but stopped with their mouths millimetres from touching. Mahiru couldn't really think straight, didn't even want to take a breath, too focused on the lips hovering so close to his. When Tsubaki stopped so close to him, there had been a moment at which he felt confused and even slightly dissapointed, before he actually managed to grasp the reason why Tsubaki wasn't kissing him yet.

He was giving him a choice.

Mahiru could accept the kiss, the apology, and forgive Tsubaki for keeping him awake.
He could also lean away and reject the apology.

That Tsubaki was giving him a choice made a happiness bubble up inside Mahiru and only made him more intent on forgiving him.
It showed that his Servamp actually cared for him.
He wanted Mahiru to forgive him.

A smile had crept onto Mahiru's face as he leaned forward and brushed their lips against each other.
The kiss was short and sweet but it still left him breathless.
The way he felt when looking down at the city was nothing compared to this.

"I think I'll forgive you now," Mahiru chuckled while looking up into Tsubaki's eyes, "but you have to promise to let me sleep from now on."

He could see the crimson eyes light up at this and a playful smile made its way onto his face.

"A request like that will costs you another kiss, Mahiru~"

"I will consider it," he replied while trying to stifle a yawn, " but first we're going back home. I think I will fall asleep any moment now."

As soon as he stopped speaking he was in Tsubaki's arms and they jumped down the building, a cool breeze rushing past them.
Mahiru had his gaze focused on Tsubaki's face and a wave of relief washed over him. He was fairly sure that he would able to manage his Servamp now and actually get to sleep during the nights.

Because after all, Tsubaki had just wanted his attention all this time and wanted to be with him.
And if Mahiru could show him with something as simple as a kiss that he felt the same then he was sure they'd be able to work it out somehow.

-
I finally finished this! I'm sorry it took so long, but I had some difficulties with how their relationship would work.
I think it turned out rather decently though, but feel free to tell me if you think otherwise ^-^