Hottest Day in History

》Kuro, Mahiru, Sakuya《

Mahiru never would have thought that there would be a day when he willingly spend the whole day in his apartment.
With the way his life was going lately, he could have expected some surprising things to happen, but this had never been one of them.
But sometimes the circumstances called for drastic measures.

Like staying inside for the whole day and doing absolutely nothing.

It was just too hot.

Mahiru never experienced a summer like this in his whole life.
When he had woken up he had been drenched in sweat and he had quickly opened the window to let some fresh air in. That had turned out to be a rather bad idea since it was about ten degrees warmer outside than in his bedroom and he was fast in closing the window again.
From there on it had only gotten worse.

At least the water in the shower had been cold, but the second he stepped out of the bathroom the heat had enveloped him like a thick and heavy blanket.
From what the news reporter had said, the temperature would only rise throughout the day and the next week and Mahiru regretted that his apartment didn't have an air conditioner. He didn't even own a fan.
How was he supposed to cool the apartment down?

Before he even had time to think of a solution one of the bedroom doors opened and Kuro stepped into the hallway, his hair a complete mess and stretching his arms above his head.

"Mahiru...good morning..."

He practically yawned throughout the entire sentence, drawing the syllables way longer than they were supposed to be.

"It's not really a good morning," Mahiru replied while leaning against the wall. The heat made him feel tired and exhausted and as unusual it was for him to think that, but he wanted to go back to bed and just sleep.
He glanced at Kuro who also looked like he was only half awake and gestured towards the bathroom.

"If you want to take a shower, go ahead. The water is cold at least."

Kuro didn't bother to reply and just shuffled a few steps towards the general direction of the bathroom before suddenly stopping again.

"Cold water? Who would want to take a cold shower? Being cold while showering is such a pain..."

The look that Mahiru sent him was mirroring the confusion he felt.

"Kuro, what do you mean? Do you want to take a warm shower when it's already this hot?!"

Kuro looked around like he only just now realized that it was way warmer than usual.

"Oh, it is a bit warmer in here."

Mahiru could only stare in disbelief at the vampire.

"Do you mean you don't feel hot?"

"Huh? Oh...well I'm a vampire so my body temperature is pretty low. I'm not really affected by heat or cold or anything...guess I forgot to tell you..."

The second Kuro finished talking Mahiru was standing in front of him, reaching for his hand. He hadn't even been aware of the fact that he moved until he was already on his way towards Kuro.
Now he tentatively reached out for Kuro's hand and upon feeling the coolness of it, pressed it against his cheek.

"You're so cool," Mahiru sighed while already moving closer to the vampire. His other hand went to Kuro's shirt and beneath it, seeking out the cold skin of his abdomen.
He didn't notice that Kuro was shifting under his touch until the other pulled his hand from Mahiru's grasp and Mahiru immediately retracted his own hand from underneath his shirt.