Light in the Dark

》Licht and Lawless《
Exorcist/Demon AU

-
Beware of strong language (cursing, etc.)
-

Licht should have known when he had taken that job on.
The payment was too good for a simple exorcism and protection spell, but he had needed that money badly, so he had ignored the feeling in his gut.
When he had arrived at the address he was given, the sun had just begun to set. Licht knew that exorcising and casting the protection spell would work the best at night, so he still got time to prepare everything without it getting too late.
Now he was standing on the veranda of the house he was supposed to exorcise, trying to measure how long this job would take. The house gave off an eerie feeling and Licht's senses immediately sharpened.
He knew that something was definitely wrong with that house, so he just wanted to get the exorcism done quickly and leave.

He unlocked the front door with the key he had been given by his client and entered the dark building.
The description of the job had been to exorcise the house from any lesser demons since it was about to be sold soon and a few creatures might have entered it.
The payment was ridiculously high for that kind of exorcism, but Licht had written it off as the owner of the house not being familiar with current exorcism costs. And because the house was big.
It might even be an understatement to call it a house, it was more of a mansion.

He started to walk along the dark corridor, the fading light didn't even reach that far into the mansion, it was as if all light just stayed outside completely.
He needed space to draw the magic circle. A lot of space.
Since the mansion was so huge, he needed a bigger magic circle than he usually did.
Licht hoped that there was something like a really big living room behind one of the doors that lined the corridor, or else he'd have to draw several circles which would be a total pain in the ass and would take almost twice as long.
Taking out his flashlight, he walked towards the nearest door and opened it.

The light from his lamp illuminated the room, which turned out to be the rather large kitchen of the mansion. The boy didn't see any demons, but from his years of experience he was still on guard, since they usually hid somewhere, ready to ambush some oblivious passerby.
He didn't need to find them now anyway. The only thing he needed to find was a room that was big enough to draw a magic circle in and nothing more. He'd get this done, go back to get his payment and finally take a short vacation.
The black haired boy closed the door and continued to walk along the corridor, opening every door on his way and checking the room behind it.
A few minutes later he still hadn't found a fitting place for his exorcism, but also hadn't encountered any demons this far.
Which was...not so good.
Licht couldn't shake off the feeling that something was wrong with this house. According to the current owner, his client, the house had been vacant for almost two years. And not even once had the young exorcist been at a place that had stayed free from any kind of demon this long.

Deciding to just hurry up and then get away from this weird mansion as fast as possible, Licht opened the next door.
Behind it was a staircase to the upper levels and the boy wasted no time and hurried upstairs. There was bound to be a large room somewhere, even the attic would work for him. Thinking about it, the attic was probably the best option he had. Usually attics were only one room and the attic in the mansion had to be large enough for him to draw the magic circle.

Licht didn't even stop when he reached the next floor, he just continued to walk upstairs.
The entrance to the attic was blocked by a locked door, but was quickly kicked in, by the extremely impatient boy.

Just as Licht had thought, the room behind the door was big enough for him to draw the magic circle that was needed for exorcising this mansion.
Walking straight towards the center of the room, he already started to take off his backpack and pulled out a piece of chalk.
But before he started to draw, he quickly checked the room for demons that might hide somewhere and could attack him when he was distracted by the ritual.
He didn't find anything except for a door that led to the next room and Licht decided to check that too, just to be sure.