The City from Above

》Tsubaki and Mahiru《
Alternative Servamp and Eve pairs
Requested by sailorcosmos1216

If someone were to ask Mahiru what the most annoying thing about becoming an Eve was then his immediate answer would have been that vampires didn't need to sleep. Mahiru wasn't even sure if they could sleep, he only knew that Tsubaki definitely hadn't slept once since they formed their contract.
Not once.

Normally that wouldn't have been a problem, but Tsubaki was in constant need of attention and didn't hesitate to bother Mahiru at the most unthinkable of times. For example 2 in the morning.
And that was a problem since he was very much human and actually needed sleep to function during the day.
The first few times it happened Mahiru had brushed it off with the hope that it was only going to be like this for a few days at most, but this hope was brutally crushed by the servamp. They started living together almost two months ago and Mahiru had yet to sleep an entire night without interruptions.

The worst part was school. He was unfocused and actually fell asleep in a few classes. Furthermore he was behind with every project he had to do until the holidays. And he was even farther behind with all the tasks for clubs and the school festival that he had taken on.
Mahiru had never thought of helping others as a hassle, but with the current developments it was gradually starting to become one.

He had to put a stop to this, but didn't know how. Tsubaki always evaded his questions about it during the day or just dissappeared if Mahiru wanted to ask him to stop.
He would have to think of a way to stop the servamp from brushing it off.

-

A few hours later, Mahiru was about ready to fall asleep where he was standing. He decided that he would go to bed a bit earlier, maybe he would also get a few more hours of sleep like this.
When entering his room he went straight for the bed, not even bothering to change clothes and was asleep the second his head hit the pillow.

-

It felt like only minutes had passed when he heard his name being said over and felt someone pinching his cheeks. Now awake, he sat up and reached for his phone to confirm the time.
Yep.
3 am.
He heaved a long sigh before finally acknowledging the other person in the room.

"What do you want, Tsubaki?"

He saw a smile flash over the other's face before he let himself sink down onto the bed.

"Mahiru~ I'm so bored! Will you help me? You don't have anything to do either, right?"

Mahiru answered with another sigh and waited a few moments before adding "It's 3 in the morning. I'm not 'doing anything' because I should be sleeping since humans need sleep. I told you to stop bothering me at night."
He finished with a yawn and let his gaze wander over Tsubaki's face for a moment. The vampire seemed to be hurt by his words and Mahiru had to turn his head away, now intently staring at the wall to his left.

He shouldn't feel guilty for saying this.

Tsubaki was the one waking him up every night so be had no right to make that kind of face when he told him to stop doing exactly that.
There was no reason why he should feel guilty. Actually Tsubaki should feel guilty for keeping him awake.

Mahiru knew that it made no sense that he was feeling bad for telling the vampire off, but another look to his face quickly confirmed that - as illogical as it was - he was still feeling that way. So after a few more moments of uncomfortable silence Mahiru gave finally in.