What shouldn't have been said

》Kuro and Mahiru《

Mahiru was angry.
Angry at a certain vampire who was, well, incredibly lazy.
The least the Servamp could do was to do something helpful at least once a month. Or rather at all.
Most of the time Kuro was just lying on the couch, on the ground or in his bed, playing games or watching TV.

Today was no difference.

When Mahiru came home from his trip to the grocery store next door, Kuro was lying on the couch, watching TV and a few empty noodle cups were scattered on the ground in front of him him.
The laundry he asked the vampire to do was still lying in front of the washing machine, the plates from their breakfast were still on the table.

He stepped in front of his Servamp, trying to catch the other's gaze.

"Kuro, I was gone for 30 minutes and you didn't only ignore the things I told you to do, you even made an even bigger mess!"

The Servamp looked at the brunet for a second before returning his gaze to the television.

"Mahiru, you're blocking the view."

Kuro's apathetic response made Mahiru's anger increase even further. He turned around and pulled some of the removable cables out of the TV, before facing the perplexed vampire, eyes blazing wity fury.

"Kuro, I swear that I won't let you watch TV for the next month if you don't do something here! You're making everything so difficult! Why can't you just help me a bit?!"

The blue-haired vampire was staring perplexed and shocked back at his Eve.
Eyeing him warily, he got up from the couch and stood in front of the brunet.
Mahiru usually never shouted at him like this. Sure he got angry at him for not doing anything, but he never threatened him before.
Kuro leaned back when his Eve took a step forward and jabbed a finger at his chest.

"Geez, Mahiru. What's bitten you?" He murmured and averted his gaze.
When he looked back, Mahiru was giving him a look that could kill.

"Nothing. Literally nothing. Because that's all you ever do!"

He pressed his finger more forcefully against Kuro's chest, making the blue-haired boy lose his balance and fall down onto the couch.

"You never help me out, you didn't even want to go to the store today because you were too damn lazy!"

Mahiru was glaring down at Kuro angrily, fists stammed into his hips.
He leaned forward, going down on eye level with Kuro.

"You are so useless!"

The moment the words left his mouth Mahiru wished he could take them back. He took a step backwards, looking shocked.

"I... Kuro, I didn't mean-"

Kuro ignored him and stood up and made his way towards the door, his face hidden by the hood of his jacket.
Incredible guilt rushed over Mahiru.
How could he have said that?!
It wasn't even true, he was just tired from fighting and being in a constant war with Tsubaki and the vampires laziness had just been the last straw.
He didn't have to take all of his frustration out on Kuro.

He watched his Servamp head for the door and what he heard when Kuro was passing him made his heart clench.

"I know I'm useless... I'm sorry, Mahiru..."

He wanted to tell Kuro that he was wrong, but the vampire was already outside and the door fell shut.
Mahiru just stood in the middle of the room for a couple of seconds before he caught himself and ran after Kuro.
He checked the other's bedroom and found it empty.
So were the kitchen, the bath and every other room in the apartment.
Did Kuro leave? Surely he couldn't have, with the bond as Servamp and Eve they shared. When they were too far apart they'd both feel it, so there was no way that...