Jack didn't think he was better then them necessarily. He just didn't want to be friends with them. Jack wanted to be friends with Alex and his friends and he didn't talk to his dad for a week after he told him that he was being put into the public school system.

Alex broke all the rules, put in place for his safety because his family was closely connected with the Dawson Group, and took a cab when his school got out, an hour before Jack’s and went to his school and brought him back to his house.

Alex begged the cook to make the cupcakes Jack liked to make him feel better.

Jack was smiling before the cupcakes were even in the oven.

--

Despite their pleadings and none-too subtle hints, they didn't attend the same high school either.

Just to make things worse, Jack's was several streets away from Alex's and they got out as exactly the same time. Which meant that precious best friends time was lost and they were going to have to come up with a compromise quick because alternating which one of them had to walk/take the subway/get a cab to get to the other was just not working.

Alex's friend Matt solved the problem.

There was a park almost exactly halfway in between their schools. Alex had to walk an extra two blocks but for Jack? He didn't mind at all.

They spent more afternoons in that park, doing homework and eating hot dogs and being best friends then they could count.

--

On one such afternoon, in the fall of their freshman year, Jack announced that he wanted to try kissing.

He'd heard some boys at his school talking about what they did over the weekend in the bathroom. Older boys obviously but not much older and it wasn't like he wanted to try everything they'd talked about.

He just wanted to know what kissing was like but he wanted to try it with someone he trusted. Plus by this stage in their lives, it was known but never discussed that they both liked boys more than girls.

Alex was hesitant at first. It took only a couple minutes of pleading, wide eye looks and several promises that he'd owe him big time for him to give in.

They sat facing each other, Indian style with their knees touching and took turns leaning in and then backing away out of self consciousness for several minutes before they both leaned in at the same time and didn't shy away. Neither closed their eyes as they inched towards each other and then suddenly--their lips were touching.

Both froze, not sure what to do now that the technical part of kissing was over.

They stared into each other's eyes for almost a minute and then they broke away at the same moment, each retreating back to their figurative corners.

"That was...." Jack started. disappointing? not what I thought? confusing?

"Yeah," Alex agreed, feeling it too.  "We could..." he suggested, shyly. Awkwardly. Nervously. "Try again?"

"Try again?" The younger parroted.

"Yeah," Alex said softly, touching his top lip with the tip of his tongue. "I think.. we're supposed to move."

"Move?"

"Yeah."

"Okay."

They leaned in again, pressing their lips together once more, eyes still open of course. Jack moved first, tilting his head and his lips slid to the side and that was nice. Jack moved his head further and then Alex moved his head and then things really got crazy when both their eyes closed.