Epilogue

Yavenna

The Talahund had suggested that Ulric's death, as a son of King Eredon and brother of King Tarlius, should be marked with a state funeral, although no dignitaries were to be invited from other countries. Four days after the Battle of Gelenburg, as Yavenna, dressed in a simple gown of pale green silk, proceeded from the castle to the city hall with Channa by her side, the Princess caught sight of a woman sitting weeping on the castle steps.

"Wait for me, Channa," she murmured, "I should talk to her." Walking across to Lady Rassten, she sat down next to her on the stone bench.

"Madam," she began, "Lady Rassten, I see you're weeping. But Lord Rassten hasn't be found dead. Why are you so upset? Can I help in any way?"

The Grand Vizier's wife lifted her face to Yavenna, and her expression was hard and bitter. "My husband hasn't been named as a casualty, but that doesn't mean he isn't one. I haven't seen him since the morning of the battle. His clothes remain laid out in his room next to his finest sword with a golden handle. He's a vain man, my husband, and if he'd played any part in the fighting, which I sorely doubt, then he would never have ventured forth without that sword. I don't where he is, and I don't know if he's alive or dead. Either way, my position is very uncertain, for I have no rank or status without him, and now the new King has appointed a new Grand Vizier, I'll have to vacate our suite of rooms. My husband kept a firm reign on our monies, and I don't even know where he kept his wealth."

Yavenna looked at the wretched woman, and thought back to the feast when she'd first seen her, remembering Lady Rassten glorying in her position, and almost mocking Yavenna for her panic and dismay. How their places had changed, and how quickly it had happened.

"Lady Rassten," Yavenna consoled her, "I give you my word that I will do everything I can to discover the whereabouts of your husband. If the worst is found to be true, I promise you that I'll give you an income and a residence for as long as you need one." She wriggled around on the stone bench, which was hard and uncomfortable. "But," she couldn't resist adding, "You are a beautiful woman, and still young. You may find that you have several gentlemen eager to take your husband's place."

"It's a double blow to lose His Majesty as well," added Lady Rassten, ignoring what Yavenna just said, and now looking slyly up at the princess. "There are of course, some of us that miss him more than others." She spied Mal standing outside the city hall and her mood seemed to suddenly change.

"Men in power," she snapped. "They draw you in like a lodestone, and the more influential they are, the more their allure increases. You are young and pretty, you're even a Princess in your own right. But be on your guard. Don't let them take advantage of you! In the end, they'll only leave you by the wayside! Watch out!" Yavenna nodded vaguely, trying to think of a way to change the subject.

Summoning up her most charming smile she held out her hand to Lady Rassten.

"Come now, Madam, walk with me. King Mal has indeed appointed a new Grand Vizier, Lord Timod, but he seems to be a reasonable man and I am sure he won't be in a rush to take over your suite. I think he and his family are staying in his wife's grandfather's house in the city. The Thane of Ralby, I think the grandfather is. As soon as we return to the castle, I'll personally ask the new Lord Commander of the Army, Lord Gared, if he can order a search for your husband. I'm sure he'll be keen to help." Lady Rassten nodded, and took Yavenna's hand. She looked around, seemingly calmer, making sure that people were watching her walk hand in hand with the Princess.