Chapter Fifty-five

Yavenna

Bending down, Gared put his hands either side of Yavenna's waist and helped her up. Together they stumbled through the doors and down the stairs. When they reached the landing, Gared dashed off and came back a minute later with a strip of sheet. She watched his face, frowning as he pushed up the sleeve of her mail shirt and bound her arm to stop the blood that was still leaking alarmingly fast. It must be guilt that was making him so bafflingly helpful.

Yet leaning on Gared, as they shuffled down the last of three more flights of stairs, Yavenna knew she was nearly at the end of her strength. She felt so tired. She didn't know how much longer she could keep going. Suddenly, through a haze of pain and giddiness, she heard footsteps.

Looking down the corridor she heard footsteps and looked up to see Ragnar, Channa and Giryan walking towards them, all covered in blood, and Mal in front of them, at the bottom of the stairs. He looked up at her, and smiled a sad smile. Then she felt her legs give way. A minute later she felt a strong arm around her waist, lifting her up. Mal was at her side.

"We must find the King," said Giryan without a smile or a greeting. Channa ran to Yavenna and hugged her.

Then Mal said, "The King's dead, I've just seen him, and we've killed the mage."

Yavenna saw a smile burst across the Ithrim's dour face. "Praise Esa! Well done, all of you. I will go to my King. He must sound the Horn of Victory." He bowed his head to Mal, before turning and running back towards the staircase. "Long live King Mal!"

"Where was the King?" Ragnar asked, rubbing his head against Yavenna's leg and sitting down next to Mal. "It's over outside. The soldiers died again when you two killed the mage. The remaining soldiers have surrendered. Timod is talking to them."

Mal stroked Ragnar's head. "The king is in there with his throat cut and blood all down his shirt. I don't know any more than that."

Ragnar bowed his head. "Long live the King," he growled.

Summoning the last of her strength, Yavenna just managed to blurt out what she was so desperate to know, "Is that it then, is Mal really the King now?"

"Yes, Mal really is the King," the wolf nodded.

Letting go of Mal's arm, Yavenna lowered herself onto the bottom step, then taking a last glance at him, she breathed a deep sign and closed her eyes.