Chapter Five

Yavenna

A page opened a back door of the ancient castle for Yavenna and led the way to the gardens. Unable to contain herself any longer Yavenna burst into a run along the path that led through the shrubbery, stopping abruptly as the path ended in a bush of white rhododendrons. She clutched her sides, gasping, sucking in deep breaths of the rich scent.

"Oh Sharva, oh Sharva, I can't believe I'm here. I can't believe I've really got to marry this King." She stared at Sharva, wide-eyed, "Do you think there's any chance the man on the balcony wasn't the King? Sharva, his doublet was stained. I could see it from the stretcher. I can't marry a man who isn't clean. Let alone an old man who wears a mask! And remember the slaves we saw on the journey here to Gelenburg. Real slaves, Sharva, not just stories of people's situations that I sent money to. I really saw them, and they were chained. And skeletally thin! A man who enslaves his own people! Oh my goodness, what in the world am I to do?" Yavenna slumped onto a small stone wall behind her, moaning and rubbing her upper arms.

Sharva sat down beside her and put her arm around the Princess.

"Mistress, calm down. Any situation like this would take some getting used to. But he's a strong and majestic man. A mighty King! And what would you say to him? You can't refuse him. Our country needs food now, and more supplies to store up for when the plague winds come. Think about how many of our people starved when the harvests failed. This wedding is so important for our plague stores. Perhaps he is just using slaves to build up a lot of food supplies as quickly as possible." Sharva lowered her voice. "And anyway, Mistress. You were found out by the Duke. You have no choice."

Yavenna pushed Sharva away and stood up.

"No Sharva, no. Even to get enough food for my people I can't bear to think of marrying him. There must be some way out of it." Yavenna pulled blossom after blossom from the rhododendron.

The sound of metal dropping onto stone made her stop. A twig snapped. Yavenna sprang up from the wall. A waterfall of auburn hair pushed out from between the rhododendron branches and a girl stepped onto the path, an eyeglass dangling around her neck. She cleared her throat and stood up.

"Do excuse me, Mistresses, I dropped my key." The girl held the eyeglass to her right eye and peered at Yavenna and Sharva. Yavenna thought she looked about a year younger than herself, she was small and slim, and her face looked intelligent. But...oh no! She must have heard what Yavenna said about the King. Yavenna closed her eyes, screwing her face up. That was the last thing she needed.

"Who are you, anyway?" She lowered her eyeglass. "I haven't seen you about the castle before."

"I'm a visitor." Yavenna pressed her lips together. She wasn't going to tell the girl anything she didn't have to. There was just the slightest chance she hadn't heard what Yavenna had said. "And so is she," Yavenna nodded in Sharva's direction

"Is that so?" The girl raised her eyebrows.

Yavenna couldn't tell whether her voice had an ironic tone to it or not.

"Well in that case, I do hope you have a pleasant visit." She patted the cascade of flame-coloured hair as if trying to make it neater. "One thing is certain..." she raised an eyebrow as she looked from Yavenna to Sharva, and twirled her eyeglass, "...at the very least, I'm sure it will be quite interesting." She walked off down the path, humming to herself.

Yavenna stared at the girl's back for a moment. Daggers, she hadn't asked who she was. She could be one of the King's relatives, or anyone. She looked back at Sharva. The girl hadn't been enough of a distraction for her to forget she didn't want to marry the King.

Sharva stopped in front of Yavenna and closed her hands over the Princess's for a moment. "Mistress, you can't refuse the proposal now. You're already here. It would cause terrible offense to the King. You agreed to it." Letting go of Yavenna's hands, she frowned as she tried to catch the petals the Princess was dropping. "Mistress, it might even cause a war." Yavenna stood still, twisting her pendant. That wasn't what she wanted to hear. But the truth was, her father had agreed to it as well. However, could he have thought King Ulric would be a good husband for her?

A noise on the path made her spin around. Was it the girl again? No, Lord Rassten was walking hurriedly towards them.

"Your Royal Highness. I've been looking for you everywhere. You must make sure you tell me where you are at all times. His Most Splendid Majesty has decided you should get betrothed today and so the banquet is going to start earlier. Come now, you need to prepare yourself for the ceremony.

Yavenna's mouth fell open. Betrothed! Today! But what on earth was the hurry? She had expected to have time to get to know the King well before they got betrothed! She pushed her hands through her silvery-gold hair. But she turned and followed Lord Rassten – what else could she do? Sharva paced along after her. Once safely behind the closed doors of the suite, Yavenna flopped back on the sumptuous bed, gazing at the ceiling.

"Tell me this isn't real, Sharva. I absolutely cannot bear the thought of marrying him. And why have we got to get betrothed today! Surely it will be months before the wedding can be organized?" She rolled over so she could see her maid's face. "Quick, help me to think. There must be something I can do to delay the ceremony."

But Sharva's face was tight. "Mistress, I know he's older than you expected, but such a lot of good will come from this marriage! That's what you must focus on. And, Mistress, I found out from the other maids that King Ulric is a vassal of the King of Menendreth." The maid lowered her voice. "Do you know who he is, Mistress? He's just about the most powerful man in the world." She sat on the bed next to the princess and put her hand gently on the princess' arm. "Mistress, it would probably be quite a serious mistake to offend King Ulric. You should just go ahead with the betrothal." With a gasp, Yavenna glared at Sharva. She couldn't believe what the maid had said. She wasn't even listening to Yavenna. Did Sharva care anything at all about her? This was Yavenna's life they were discussing.

The Princess tightened her jaw. "Sharva, after the banquet, when it's dark, I am going to sneak out. I need to run and think. I know I'm taking a risk, but right now it feels as if I won't have many more moments of freedom left to me."

"Mistress, is that wise? It sounds like a very dangerous idea to me. What if something happens to you? At least go with Torrehon, then I won't fear for your safety."

Yavenna pressed her lips together, trying to curb her frustration. "No, Sharva, I know you don't agree, but I'll be safer on my own. You know how fast I can run. As soon as it's dark I'll go. And why don't you go and see Torrehon while I'm gone. You haven't had much time together lately, have you?"

Sharva frowned at the princess, her lips thin. "He'll probably have duties tonight anyway." She brushed an imaginary speck of fluff from her skirt. "Very well, Mistress, you can think about it during the banquet." She looked pointedly at a gilt-framed clock above the dressing table. "Now you need to get ready."