Chapter Thirty-eight

Yavenna

They ran through the night, stopping briefly to rest a few hours before dawn. As they ran on, Yavenna realized the Talahund and Ithrim ran a little more slowly than her usual pace. But for some reason she was glad of that. Was it tiredness? She didn't seem to be able to run quite as fast as normal.

A path appeared beside a brook, and Giryan led them along it, although Yavenna made sure she kept well back from the awful wolves. Staring at the trees along the edge of the path, she noticed they were changing; pines giving way to chestnuts, beeches and fruit trees, and there was a citrusy smell in the air. And something was suddenly different about the forest. There was a stillness in the air, and although she couldn't see any, she felt as if many eyes were watching her; many eyes that weren't human. She shivered.

Suddenly Giryan stopped. He stepped closer to Gared who was riding on Ragnar, and put his arm on the young man's shoulder.

"A word of warning, Gared, before we meet the Dryads. They are immortal, you know, and have a different idea of time to us mortals. And they take offence easily, so we will need to be extremely polite."

Gared looked up at him, his jaw tight, "Surely Giryan, if they want peace in Arvad they'll help us to stop Ulric? And help us rescue Mal?"

"Pray that they will, Gared," said Giryan gravely. Yavenna watched the conversation with interest. Why did Giryan think Gared needed warning how to behave? And who were these Dryad people anyway? Giryan turned back to look at the others, and held up his hand.

"Dryads of Thringevelt, we seek permission to enter your kingdom," he said.

Almost instantly a voice replied, "You may continue, Giryan of Nithandoran, and those with you." There was a rustle and in front of him Yavenna saw a face. It was a woman who'd spoken. She had dark brown ridged skin and green hair; identical collaring to the oaks that surrounded her. It was difficult to see her unless she moved.

"Welcome to Thringevelt, Talahund and Ithrim, I am Greann."

Yavenna looked at her, waiting for a greeting. None came. How rude, she thought. What about welcoming Gared and herself? Obviously, humans weren't important enough to be acknowledged. Were all the Dryads that rude? Perhaps she shouldn't have come here with these people after all.

"Greetings, Greann. We have been sent by Lord Hirnan to seek audience urgently with the Lord and Lady. We have come to ask for help" replied Giryan.

As he spoke, Yavenna noticed other faces flitting in and out of the trees.

"You're welcome to stay in Thringevan, friends. We'll send your request to the Layeithas. I cannot say what the answer will be. I'm sure that your King Hirnan is already aware of the Layeithas' view of war. Wait here." She turned and walked away with two of the other Dryads. A few minutes later she returned.

"Layeith Digheldan and Layeitha Treghanna have been out of the city for the last few days. We were told they were due to arrive back today, but we haven't yet heard if they've returned." Yavenna saw Gared frown at Giryan as he stepped up to him.

"Isn't there anyone else who can find out? Do they understand how urgent this is?" he muttered under his breath.

Greann smiled. "I will take you as far as Thringevan City. There will be someone there who can help you." She led them for several miles through the forest until they reached a thick hedge of holly. Whistling first, she held her hands up and a ladder dropped down in front of them. She climbed up and over the hedge, and the others followed.