29) A miracle

Summer's pov

"We've got her! She was dead for five minutes, it's a true miracle." A man said as they lifted me into an ambulance. I'm confused, dead? I couldn't have been dead, I was sleeping and then I was in the front lawn and now I'm alive? Or am I just dreaming and I'm still sleeping. Or maybe I'm actually dead and dreaming. All of a sudden the memories from five minutes ago came back, I did die! I remembered. I was in heaven and I saw God but then I came back. They put mommy in the ambulance too but I remembered watching her pass out so she's okay. A woman came and sat beside me. She just smiled, I gave her a weak smile in return.

"Are y-you the one that saved m-me?" I tried my best to talk but I felt very weak and my mouth was dry. My chest was a little sore but compared to being literally deceased, you could say I'm doing just fine. She shook her head.

"We're not sure what saved you sweetheart, in all my years I've never seen anything like it." I looked over at mommy, wishing she was awake so she could see that I was ok. I turned back to the lady.

"If I told you something, would you believe me?" I whispered.

"It depends on what you tell me, what is it?"

"I remember being dead. I saw heaven." She raised eyebrow.

"Really?" She said, I could tell she didn't really believe me but I remember it very clearly. There was a really bright light and then there were angels and I was in heaven. I don't really remember anything after that but now I'm here. It looked like a happy place though.

"It happened, I've never lied ever before in my entire life. Promise." She was quiet for a while, I could tell she was thinking about something. My eyelids began to get heavy and I yawned.

"Get some sleep kid." She said. I was rather uncomfortable, being strapped down to a stretcher? Yeah not a fun time. I don't know how but eventually I feel asleep.
***

I woke up again, this time it was morning. I lied there for a while, when we arrived at the hospital they immediately put me on another breathing machine before I went back to sleep. After a while a doctor came in. He checked the machines I was hooked up to and started talking.

"You know, you're a very special little girl." He said, turning off the air thing and taking off the mask which was designed to look like a fish.

"Why did I live?" I asked. I had heard what he said a billion times already, I wasn't going to keep on talking about how I'm so 'amazing'

"We're trying to figure that out. We have absolutely no idea. One minute you were completely gone with no chance of coming back, five minutes later your heart just started on its own and you were breathing. Very astounding." I nodded. I felt a little better than I did last night, I guess the sleep helped.

"Does my mommy know I'm ok?"

"Your mom is still sleeping, she hit her head pretty hard when she fell but she'll be okay. We'll let you see her when she wakes up."

"When can I go home?" I really just wanted to go home and get things back to normal as soon as possible.

"We want to monitor your breathing over night for a little while. Probably a week and a half, maybe two." I sighed.

"So I can't go to school?" I asked. He shook his head.

"Sorry." Suddenly my stomach started growling.

"Can I have something to eat please?"

"You ask a lot of questions, don't you? I'll go get you something to eat." I sat up and took a deep breath. I'm alive. I thought, looking at my hands. I'm here. I'm ok. I smiled and walked over to the window. It was too plain in the room, a little natural lighting made it feel less dull and sort of opened up the room. I did a little twirl as I made my way back to the bed. I couldn't help it, I was happy.

"I'm alive!" I sang. I flopped back down on the bed and sighed. I wanted mommy to know I was ok, I wanted her to see me happy. Is this real? What if it's all a delusion and I never did come back alive? I pinched myself, hoping it was the same as when you think you're dreaming. I was still in the same hospital bed, everything was the same. I sighed. Little girl dies for five minutes just because she wanted to scratch her nose. I thought. This would make a really weird news story. The doctor brought me a bowl of cereal and an apple, he also handed me a coloring book and a box of crayons.

"To keep you busy." I smiled at him and started eating my cereal, He left the room again. I finished the cereal and started coloring, only to get bored after doing half of the first page. If this is how the next two weeks are going to be, I don't know what I'll do.

But at least I'm alive And mommy won't have to be sad anymore.