Chapter Twenty-One

My gift to you, on 1D day, is this chapter that I wasn't going to post for another week or so. Love you guys, and I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think. ;)

Previously: Not even five minutes later, the doctor walked in and asked the boys to leave for a few minutes while we talked. I took a deep breath before meeting his eyes. "Go ahead and tell me now. What's wrong with me?" I asked.

"Well... it's not what you'd expect, actually," the doctor replied. "It's..."

I shook my head. No, it couldn't be... it just... no. This was unthinkable, something that COULD NOT happen. "You must be mistaken. That's not... it's not possible," I stammered, trying to find a way that he could be wrong.

"I'm sorry, I'm not wrong. You have developed an allergy to either the Midol or the chocolate. As those are the only things you consumed in nearly twelve hours, we know it's one of those things. We can run tests to tell you for sure, but we believe it's the Midol," the doctor told me calmly.

"But... an allergy caused all of this? Isn't this a bit much for just not being able to consume something properly?" I begged. At this point, I was praying for the cancer. There was no way I could give up chocolate or Midol. I needed them like oxygen.

"We can run more tests to make sure... but this is the most likely cause of your collapse. All of the symptoms are there," he assured me.

"No. I read up on it a few years ago. These are also symptoms of stomach cancer, and I have a history of cancer in my family! And you can cure stomach cancer... so that must be it!" I rambled, trying to convince both of us. Plus, I was pretty sure the boys might kill me if this was just an allergic reaction.

"We can test it. You'll be here a bit longer," he told me, sighing. I nodded.

"Don't tell them anything, please. I'll handle that," I begged, already thinking of things to say to them to get them to go back to the hotel and do their jobs. I was pretty sure Zayn and Louis would have to be dragged out... too bad.

The doctor nodded and walked out, letting the boys back in. They immediately surrounded my bed silently, waiting for me to clue them in to what was going on. I sighed, trying to think of the right thing to say.

"So... they really don't know. I informed them of the cancer history, and they're going to run some more tests. Um... you guys should go back and do your jobs. You don't need me to choreograph today, because you know your current dances... go do interviews and perform. I'll be back at the hotel when you're done for sure!" I tried. All I got was raised eyebrows and frowns.

"Haley, you're an awful liar," Harry informed me, smirking. "You know what's wrong."

"It... it's nothing. Completely fixable! Go back to the hotel, okay? We don't know for sure yet anyways,' I replied, very purposefully not lying.

"I'm not leaving you here," Zayn told me, taking my hand again. Louis immediately nodded and took my other hand. The other three exchanged glances. Liam nodded to Harry, who grabbed Louis around the waist and threw him over his shoulder, nearly pulling my arm out of it's socket. Liam did the same to Zayn. They walked them out of the room, ignoring the way both boys were fighting back. Niall stepped up to smile at me.

"If you're not back tonight, we'll be right back here and we won't leave again," he promised me. I nodded, waving him off. He gave me a gentle hug and then followed the others out, leaving me on my own.

The doctor was right, but it turned out I was too. The reason I'd formed a sudden allergy to chocolate (of all things, it had to be that!) was because there was an over-abundance of white blood cells in my stomach. One of the warning signs of cancer. They were making me go back to a hospital once a month for a check-up to make sure it didn't really form. So far, I was still cancer-free.