XVI: FLOWERS ARE THE WAY TO THE HEART

Start from the beginning

"Well, Sleeping Beauty," she taunted, pretending to calculate the time in her head. "Minus the three, carry over the five, divide the two. Oh wait! I don't have any battery on my phone nor do you have a clock anywhere in this room for some peculiar reason, so I don't know the time."

"Well, happy Sunday morning to you too," Luke retorted, rolling over and letting go of her to find his phone on his bedside bureau drawer, checking the time and his several text messages. "Crap, I have to go to work today. It's already 10:38, I'm supposed to be there by 11:00."

"You have work on Sunday too? Do you ever get a break?" Ava asked, upset that they couldn't spend another lazy day together and possibly talk some more about each other their existential crises. She's already talked about hers, it was his turn now.

"Not usually, but my boss texted me saying that there's an apprentice coming in a couple weeks who's being trained by one of the workers in another shop, and until the apprentice comes to where I work, I have to take his place," He explained quickly, rushing to get all the words out. He wasn't sure if he was making sense, but to be fair, there was a beautiful girl in his bed who had a lifetime supply of sarcastic comebacks, so one couldn't really blame him for getting distracted.

Ava pouted, covering herself with the blanket, "Awh, I wanted to hang out,"

Luke raised his eyebrows, an idea popping into his head. "Well, I could take you to work with me, my boss wouldn't mind," he expressed unsurely, glancing at her for approval. "You know, if you wanna."

She pursed her lips, pretending to give it a lot of thought, putting on a thinking face before answering slowly. "Maybe. I wouldn't mind."

"Okay, good. Do you want to stop by your place before I drive to work so that you can change?" He asked her, stretching his arms and long legs.

"Truthfully," Ava revealed, "I just want to get out of here before Becca has the chance to scream at us."

"True," Luke agreed, getting up slowly, offering his hand to Ava so they could go brush their teeth together. She took it gladly.

As they walked to the bathroom, they spotted Becca who was drinking coffee by the couch. She eyed them suspiciously and then began muttering about how she had a feeling that their star signs weren't compatible before she let out a huff and turned back to the television. Standing side by side in the mirror, Luke and Ava sleepily brushed their teeth and washed their faces, before having to wash their face a second time because Luke started a toothpaste war and Ava was not going down that easily. (There was toothpaste on the floor, all over the sink, and there was even a bit on the mirror.)

"I can't believe you did that. Now my face smells like Mr. Toothpaste took a dump on my face," Ava claimed in an upset tone, both of her hands touching her face, like she could still feel Colgate on it.

Luke began to stroll to his room, shrugging carelessly. He should've won the toothpaste war, he had put more of it on her face. "Don't be a sore loser, babe. Besides, now you smell fresh."

She glared at him, standing in the doorway with her arms crossed. "Is that so?"

"Yes," he nodded matter-of-factly, walking back to the bathroom with a towel so he could take a shower before driving to work. He bent down when he reached the doorway, face to face with Ava, a smug expression on. "It is so."

She blushed vibrantly at how close he was again (she really needed to stop doing that around him), rolling her eyes and scoffing, backing away. "You need to quit doing that thing."