Chapter 31

I got back to school on time with Nate by my side. We made plans to go to the mall after class, and the big hug he gave me was enough to brighten my mood for the entire day.

In my classroom, my students had a wonderful time, and everything ran smoothly throughout the day. Well, kind of smoothly if you consider my talk with the school board during my break.

It's not that they made any kind of negative comments or anything. I just felt like I was an inconvenience they were not keen on having to solve. Anyway, I got all the paperwork, procedures, and a list of my rights as a pregnant teacher and right now, there's nothing more I can do.

I'm closing the door of my classroom when I hear Sophie's voice behind me. "Hey there, stranger!"

"Sophie! Hi!" I smile at her.

"Don't you Sophie me! Where have you been hiding?" She stops in front of me.

"I know, sorry! It's just-"

"Alexia!" Nate shouts, running our way.

"Hey, no running or shouting in the halls." I wink at him.

"Sorry." He looks down as he holds my hand.

"I know I'm being a terrible friend lately." I look at Sophia. "But can we talk later, please? I promise the little dude here I'd take him out to buy his birthday present.

"All right, but are you okay? I was worried."

"I am now," I say, touched by her concern. "And I have some news, can we meet for lunch sometime during the week?"

"I'd love too."

*****

After going to all the toy stores in the mall and many debates on perfect birthday presents, we settled on a beginner skateboard kit. The grin on his face when we paid for it was worth it all, though. Yeah, this little dude got me wrapped around his finger too, without even trying.

"Thanks so much, Alexia." He holds my hand when we leave the store and my heart warms.

"You've already said it like a hundred times since we got here," I look at him.

"I know." He gives me a small smile.

"So I think I got it you are thankful." I tickle him.

"Yeah, but..." He shakes his head.

"What is it, Nate?" I touch his shoulder.

"Were you mad at my dad?" He asks and I freeze. I'm so not ready to talk to him about me and Lucas, but at the same time, I feel like I owe him some kind of explanation.

"Uh... Why don't we grab some ice cream and find a place to sit so we can talk a little?" I offer.

"Okay." He nods.

It doesn't take us long, and soon we are sitting. "Look, Nate, sometimes adults disagree on things and we get a little sad but..." I shake my head, trying to clear my thoughts. I'm sure I'm not making any sense.

"Well," I continue. "What I'm trying to say is that adults sometimes do things that make no sense at all, and sometimes we need some time to think. Your dad and I were thinking about things and we needed to do it by ourselves."

"Was it because of my mom?" he asks, and my heart stops for a second.

"Why would you think that?" I try to sound nonchalant, but I'm sure my face is showing how shocked I am.

"I heard my dad on the phone... He said it was hard to be with you because of my mother." He looks at me with such innocence and trust in his eyes that I have to force myself not to cry like a baby in front of him.

"Nate..." I take a deep breath, but nothing else comes out of my mouth. I don't want to lie to him, but at the same time, I don't know what to do.

"But she is dead, you know?" He searches my eyes and I just nod. "And you're here..."

"I am." I bite my lips so hard I'm sure I taste blood.

"And we really like you. My dad even told me he loves you! So why was he saying that about you and my mom? Was this why you got sad and stopped going to our place?"

"No, no!" Damn, when did this kid grow up? It feels like yesterday we're spitting on our hands, and now he's all serious and stuff in front of me.

"So what happened? My dad won't explain things to me." He frowns, and my heart breaks into tiny little pieces.

"What do you mean?" I whisper.

"He said..." He looks down, shaking his head.

"What?" I insist, not really knowing if it's my place, but feeling like I need to help him in a way.

"He said you- you were never going to replace my mom." He finishes, his eyes so full of emotion it takes everything inside of me not to collapse in front of him.

"Nate." I press my hands to my lips.

"But she is not here!" His lips tremble, and I'm fully panicking right now.

"I'm so sorry, honey!" I try to hug him, but he shakes his head, making me pause.

"And you are here, and you make me pancakes and cakes, and you take care of me when I'm sick, and you are my dad's girlfriend and we spit on our hands and-"

"Okay, okay! Calm down, sweetie. Your dad and I have nothing to do with you and me. We're best buddies forever no matter what happens!" I try to reassure him, but he keeps shaking his head.

"No!" He closes his eyes, clearly frustrated.

"I know we didn't see each other for some time, but-"

"I want you to be my mom!" He whispers, his eyes still closed.

"What?" I freeze.

"They all have moms... the other kids... They cook their favorite food and they do stuff together. Just like you and me. But if you're not dad's girlfriend, you'll never be my mom."

This kid is going to be the death of me. No matter how much I try, there's no control of my tears now. My heart hurts so much for him and for the pain in his eyes that in this moment I wish I was his mom. For real, I wish he's never suffered this significant loss, that he'd never have to beg someone else to be his mom because his own mom would be right here, giving him all the things he misses.

"Nate, I need you to really look at me right now and believe what I'm going to tell you. Can you do that?" I ask, taking a deep breath, and he nods.

"Nothing in this world would make me prouder than having you calling me mom. Never believe otherwise. But I also need you to understand that you have a mom. She may not be here, but she is part of who you are. And she loved you so much! Do you understand that?"

"Yes," he says, still so looking sad, my heart breaks for him.

"I also need you to know that I have some wonderful news to share with you, and it will prove to you how stuck with me you are. I just need to talk to your father first, and then you'll see it's impossible not to have me in your life. Can you just wait a little bit so I can tell you what it is?"

"Really?" He gives me a small smile, but one that's full of hope.

"Positive!" I pull him into a hug and he holds me tight.

"I love you, Alexia!" he whispers, blowing my mind once again.

"God! I love you too, sweetie! Forever!"

_____

A/N: Aw, my poor heart... *sighs*

Thanks so much for reading! I really enjoyed writing this chapter! :)

If you want to show your support, please don't forget to vote and follow me here @CelesteABrook for news and updates. 

xoxo

~ Celeste