Chapter 4

I'm watching some reruns of The Big Bang Theory and chewing on the reasons why I'm so upset that Lucas was with another girl.

 It's not his responsibility to entertain. I should not be upset.

God! They were probably having sex, and I interrupted them!

"Please, kill me now!" I groan, rolling my eyes as I stuff my mouth with popcorn.

I need to make some friends around here, get out more. But, damn, when was the last time I even ventured going out alone?

"That would be never!" I murmur before passing out on the sofa.

When I wake up, I realize it's already ten in the morning. My whole body aches and my mouth tastes like mothballs; not that I know what they taste like, but you know what I mean.

Well, I guess a night of popcorn, cheap wine, and a bad sofa will do that to you.

Putting some coffee to brew, I head to the shower, and after spending about twenty minutes under the hot water, I feel somehow human again.

I'm on my second cup when I call Mark to see if I can get my car. "Mark's Auto Shop, how can I help you?" I hear him saying.

"Hey Mark, it's Alexia, Lucas's neighbor. I'm calling to see if my car is ready?"

"Hi, Alexia. Yeah, your car is ready, but Lucas has already taken it home for you. He got here earlier today..."

"Oh! Well, that's weird. He didn't mention anything... Did he pay for your services?" I lower my voice, I have no idea why.

"Everything is taken care of, Alexia." He chuckles.

"Oh! Well, thanks, I guess. I'll see you around."

"You're welcome. See you around."

Frowning, I head to Lucas' apartment, and the moment I knock, I realize Clare may have spent the night.

Well, what can I do? I need my keys back.

"Good Morning, neighbor," he says with a smile, and I thank God he is wearing a shirt today.

"Why did you bring my car back?" I ask.

 "Again, we need to work on your social skills, Alexia." He touches my hand and my heart races. What the hell?

"You need a haircut," I blurt, trying to focus on anything but his touch.

Because seriously! This guy is too good looking!

"You spend a lot of time paying attention to my face, don't you?" He grins, and I sigh, annoyed with myself because... because, well, he is right.

"My keys, Lucas?" I ask, avoiding his beautiful eyes.

"Jesus, can't you even say thanks when someone does something nice for you?" He shakes his head and goes inside.

After some time he comes back with the keys. "Here," he says, and I take the keys from his hands, looking down.

"I'm sorry. You're right. It just-" I say and shake my head. "Thanks. I just couldn't understand why you would do that for me. We've just known each other for two minutes." I force myself to look at him."

"Maybe I like you."

"Oh! Oh! I'm sorry, but I'm not ready to be liked. I mean romantically. You know..." I feel my cheeks are on fire.

Dear Lord, when did I become this hot mess around cute guys?

He looks at me for a second and bursts out laughing. "Damn, I needed that!" he says, rubbing his eyes.