Chapter 28

After talking to my dad, I feel somehow calmer. I know I will need to talk to Lucas as soon as I get back and that it won't be an easy conversation, but it will be the first step to all the decisions I have to make.

Still at the hospital, I use my phone to send an e-mail to the school, explaining that because of some health problems I won't be able to be at work on Monday, but that I'll be there on Tuesday. I'm sure it won't be a problem for them to find someone to replace me for a day, but I still feel bad to miss a day of work.

I am feeling much better now and apart from a little headache, there is nothing wrong with me or with the baby. The doctor on call insisted I need to stay the night though, so here I am at the hospital by myself.

I sent my parents home to rest, along with Lisa and Greg. I felt a little suffocated around them and all that awkwardness.

Mom is ready to burst from happiness about the idea of having a grandchild, Lisa is as shocked as me, and Greg... well, I've never seen him so devastated before. I guess he finally understood that we'll never get back together. I think this was the closure he needed.

It's already late now and I can't seem to relax enough to sleep. I want to hear Lucas's voice so bad, to hug and snuggle close to him that my heart hurts. So, I get my phone and touch the photo album icon. It's the first time since we broke up that I allow myself to look at our photos. And God, there are so many of them.

Us kissing on the beach on our trip with his sister. Me and Nate trying to make pizza from scratch and laughing at each other. The one I took of Lucas in a suit just because I thought he looked hot. There so many photos, so many memories. It's like we had been together forever instead of less than a year.

I'm about to turn off my phone when a photo catches my attention. It's one of me and him at the beach on our last day of the trip.

We were both sitting on the sand at night; the kids had already gone to bed, so it was just us and his sister and brother-in-law. The four of us had laughed and talked for four hours and after some time they decided to go to bed too.

In the picture, I'm sitting in between his stretched legs, my back to his chest. He had kissed my neck for so long that I was warm all over. I remember turning to him for a kiss and after a couple of minutes hearing him say that he loved me; loved the way I looked at him.

I joked he didn't need to sweet talk me since I was a sure thing already. He laughed and kissed me senseless before pulling back and getting my phone from my lap. "This look," he said right before taking our picture.

At the time, I thought he was being silly, but the look in his eyes in this picture shows me something different now. We were both looking at each other. He had a smile on his face, his eyes intent and focused on mine.

"I love you. Why the hell are we apart?" I whisper before switching off the phone to get some sleep.

*****

As soon as I was discharged from the hospital, I headed to the airport. Lisa stopped by before work to bring my things, so right after the doctor gave me the okay, I was rushing home. My parents insisted on driving me and made me promise I'd call and text them regularly to keep them updated.

I finally get home around six in the evening, my mind running through the ways I can approach Lucas and tell him I'm pregnant. I'm so distracted that I almost miss a kid running in my direction and shouting my name as I'm walking to my building entrance.

"Alexia!" I turn to the sound of my name and brace myself for the impact of a little body colliding with mine.

"Hey, buddy!" I crouch to hug him properly and my heart squeezes so tight in my chest, I need to take a full deep breath before releasing him. Jeez, I missed him so much.

He is the spitting image of his father, but his eyes have that innocent look only kids can master. He looks bigger and older and I give him a double look. "Did you have your hair cut?"

"Yeah." He looks down embarrassed and rubs his neck. Just like his father.

"Well, you look very handsome." I smile and he rolls his eyes.

"Dad said you have to solve some things and you can't be around all the time anymore." He looks hurt, and I hate myself for not taking some time to talk to him. I want to slap myself for hiding from him like a coward even when we were at school.

"I know, but it's all solved now. So if it's okay with your father, you can stop by my place whenever you want.

"So you'll be his girlfriend again?" He asks, and I open and close my mouth a couple of times but nothing comes out.

"Nate!" Lucas says, making me look up. He looks as bad as I feel. His hair is tousled as if he's been rubbing his hands on it all day, and it looks like he hasn't shaved in a while now. 

What draws me to him are his eyes, though. The dark circles under them makes me hurt. He is as sad as me, but his eyes are harder and intensely focused.

"Lucas." I give him a small smile, which he returns with a nod.

"Dad, Alexia said she's all done now and has some free-"

"We'll talk about it later, Nate." Lucas cuts him, making him frown.

"But dad-" He insists.

"Later." He gives his son one of those looks only parents can do, immediately cutting the conversation.

Not knowing what to say, I grab my bag from the ground and prop it on my shoulder. "Well, I'll see you guys around, then."

"They said you had to be replaced at school today because you had some health problems, but I see you just spend the weekend away and-" Lucas stops when I raise my eyebrows. "What I meant to ask is, are you okay?" he asks softly now.

"Were you worried?" I can't help the sarcasm in my voice.

"Really worried," he answers, and the trace of vulnerability in his eyes makes me swallow.

"Yeah. I'm fine now, I guess." I look from him to Nate, who is curiously studying us.

"Look," I grip the strap of my bag tightly. I just have to ask him if we can talk later, but the fear of him rejecting me again makes me nervous. "Can we..." I clear my throat. "Can we talk later? It's important."

He studies me for a moment and I don't know what he sees in my expression, but he nods, a worried look on his face. "Sure. I'll text you later, okay?" He motions to Nate and I know he will wait until he is asleep so we can talk. The kid sleeps like a log, so it will be easier for us to have a conversation without being interrupted.

"Thanks." I give him a small smile. "Are you guys going up? I ask Nate.

"Yeah." He holds my hand and pulls me to the building. Damn! I really love this kid.

I just hope that whatever happens between me and Lucas, we don't mess with this little guy's life.

_____

A/N: Thanks a lot for reading! Please, don't forget to vote and follow me here CelesteABrook for news and updates. :)

I'm also on social media (same username) if you want to know more about me and my work.♥️

xoxo

~ Celeste.