Chapter 9 - Unexpected Guests

Thanks for the awesome cover, Bambey :D

I love it :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You!" Amy's voice was completely different now. It was like a menacing hiss like when acid was burning through a pipe. It sent shivers down Dannii's spine.

"You killed my father!"

                                    ***

"Where'a the werewolf girl?" Kirstin asked the vampires, including Emily.

"Her name is Dannii,"

"Fair point. Where is Dannii?" Kirstin repeated.

Emily sensed a slight hint of frustration in her voice, but it went away as quickly as it came.

Where was Dannii?

"You mean you don't know where she is?" Kirstin asked in disbelief, sounding like she was about to cry.

I made Emily feel even more terrible.

"No, I don't," Emily whispered, her voice cracking.

She held her tears back for as long as she could, before letting herself sob over losing Dannii.

                                  ***

"Did you really expect me to stay human all my life?! Hell no! I love my new powers. Better than being a stupid werewolf like you,"

Her attitude had changed dramatically. It reminded her of Miss Bendetta from school: cruel and depressing.

"How do you know I'm a werewolf?" Dannii asked, curious.

"Did you really expect to be able to kill both my parents, and still get away with it?!"

"No, I didn't kill Jake-"

"Yeah you did!" Amy interrupted, almost yelling now. "You decapitated Jake Black then put his head on a spike, leaving his body to maggots,"

"I swear, I didn't kill Jake-"

"Then who did? The death fairy? Per-lease. There's no such thing as f-"

Amy was staring somewhere behind Dannii. She slowly turned around and saw them.

"What are you?" Dannii asked the new visitors in a whisper.

"We would have thought you would have known. Guess," The Leader said to Dannii.

                                    ***

"It's okay, we'll find Dannii together. I promise," Kirstin reassured Emily.

She was attempting to stop crying now. Her eyes were aching from so many tears having been shed, and squinted.

"But how? Where do we start?"

"I don't know. Maybe we should do what humans do: re-trace our steps." Kirstin suggested, looking hopeful.

"Okay, we started off at your house, and decided to talk...after that I asked her if she wanted to face me back..."

Emily explained how she and Dannii had been racing back to the house.

"So, he last time you saw her was by the lake?"

"Yeah, I guess..." Emily's voice trailed off into the distance.

"So, let's start of there. And follow the scent,"

Emily's forgotten she was with vampires, and she too had some vampire in her.

"Yeah! Thanks Kirstin!"

Kirstin grinned in agreement, and stepped out their front door.

She gave a telepathy message to James, who had to stay behind in case they happened to run into someone who threatened to hurt him for answers, and to defend the house if anything bad happened.

He would tell the other vampires they'd just gone out for some fresh air.

Holly, Abi and Kensey came along too; Abi in her wolf form. Emily and Kirstin understood her idea perfectly: her senses worked a lot better in wolf form.

"Good point," Kirstin said. "Abi says her senses work better in wolf form. A dog's senses are ten times better than that if a humans'."

She's smart and beautiful!

"I only got to be plain old Emily," Emily thought to herself.

"Oh, but you're much more than that, Emily. Has you looked in a mirror properly since you transformed?" Kirstin said softly, then dug into her black handbag, pulling out a beautiful pocket mirror, covered in gems in all different colours and handed it to Emily.

"Whoa. Pretty mirror. Where'd you get it from?"

"Family heirloom. It's been in my family for years. I won't be likely passing it on though..."

Vampires couldn't have children unless they wanted a Runderer for a child. Vampires had a Runderer gene in their bodies, so if a vampire and human got together, the child would end up half human, half vampire Runderer. They had all the advantages of vampires: strength, immortality and speed, but also had human things too: hormones and could eat human food as well as their diet of blood.

"All Runderers have a special power, as well as the powers they all have. I think yours in the mind pain thing you can do, but I'm not sure,"

"Oh, okay," Emily sniffed, looking into the mirror. "Who is that?"

Kirstin smiled. "You. There are some things you can do, even part Runderer. You can hide your wings in your back when you're not using them, sometimes control a human's mind, and you can breath underwater and in space,"

Emily did know she could hide her wings. Although, she had to admit they looked pretty and awesome, and would probably make an epic fancy dress costume too.

Emil smiled in happiness.

"I think I've picked up Dannii's scent," Abi thought, sniffing the ground and air with her black nose.