Your Sweet Talk Always Was A Bit Much Chapter 8

Besides breakfast the next morning, I didn’t see Noah or any of the guys over the weekend. I didn’t set an alarm, because I knew they’d only turn up around noon anyway. To my surprise, when I wandered into the kitchen at eleven, my brother was already there, pouring out coffee for himself and Damien. I walked in on Chris updating Damien on what happened last night, but they quickly stopped talking as I entered.

         “Morning, sleeping beauty,” my brother chirped.

         “Hey. When did you get here?” I asked, retrieving a mug for myself and holding it out for coffee.

         “Half an hour ago.” Chris put the coffee pot back and then held out his arms with an eyebrow raised. “Don’t I get a proper hello?”

         I paused midway through blowing on my coffee to cool it down, set the mug down, and went over to hug him. “Sorry. I’m just distracted.”

         He chuckled understandingly. “I didn’t get to say hi last night. You ran off pretty quickly. How did you get home?”

         I let go of my brother and returned to cradling my coffee in my hands. “I took a cab. I didn’t want to face anyone else. Not Noah or Blake, and after that my options were pretty limited. So I just came home by myself. Speaking of which,” I said turning to Damien. “Where were you when I got back? I tried calling your cell, but there was no answer.”

         Damien shrugged. “I was out. I didn’t know whether or not to expect you back at all last night.” He looked at me pointedly. Even though I had told him I didn’t even want to talk to Noah, he still thought I would have ended up back at his place with him. I suddenly felt all the more relieved that I hadn’t given in and just taken Noah back.

         “Is the Blake the guy you were there on a date with?” Chris clarified.

         “It wasn’t really a date,” I objected.

         “It was a date,” Damien assured Chris.

         “We were with a whole bunch of people,” I tried to explain.

         “Yeah, but Blake has been hanging around you for weeks now. Look of reverence, unwillingness to leave her side,” Damien said to my brother. “I recognized all the signs immediately.”

         “Good guy?” Chris checked.

         Damien nodded. “He’s all right.”

         I waved my hands like an idiot. “Can you still see me or have I become invisible? I’m not dating Blake. And now after Noah’s performance last night, I doubt I’ll ever be dating him. So can we drop it?”

         Damien grimaced when he remembered that Blake must have witnessed Noah’s crazy gesture to get me back.

         Luckily my brother decided to change the subject. “How’re you and Damien doing?” Chris asked, even though Damien was sitting right there.

         “We get on great, don’t we Mads?” Damien said, reaching out to muss my hair.

         I nodded in agreement, although I slapped his hands away.

         “He keeping you out of trouble?”

         I grinned at my brother. “I don’t do anything you wouldn’t do.”

         Chris groaned. “That’s not reassuring, Maddie.”

         I sniggered, probably quite unattractively. “You’re my role model, big brother.”