Chapter 2

I stared at the cup of water that sat on the kitchen counter.

Am I going insane?

A single clear drop dripped down the side of the glass. It seemed...normal. I rubbed my eyes. I was just tired, I thought. Nothing was calling to me.

***

I turned the faucet on and watched as crystal water filled into the grey tub.

I'm not going crazy.

The water was warm as I dipped my toes into it. My body submerged into the tub, sending ripples to the sides of the marble.

I ran the shampoo through my short, brown locks. The aroma of strawberries lingered in the air, becoming a strong yet pleasant sillage. The faucet still pumped out water into the tub, almost rhythmically, almost like a heart beat. I could hear the accents in the water pressure. Buh boom buh boom. It was almost as if the water was alive, or maybe it was just my heart beat. I could hear that in my ears too: Buh boom, buh boom, buh boom....

I could feel a small drop of sweat trickle down my forehead. Why am I sweating?

My heartbeat- buh boom, buh boom, buh boom- pounded in my ears.

Suddenly, pain shot up my left arm. I let out a scream and doubled over, head nearly underwater. Am I dying? Is this what a heart attack feels like?

My heart beat sped up- boom buhboom boombuh buhboom boomboom buhboom buhboom buhboom oom bahboom. The beats seemed to trip over each other, no longer consistent.

I gasped as pain seemed to spider throughout my body. The pain was almost as if...as if...I could barely process my thoughts as images of dying flashed through my mind. Lying dead in this bathtub. Would there be blood? When would dad find me? He's not even- I let out another scream as the pain struck a nerve. I kicked my leg up in response- he's not even home. The pain was almost as if the flesh was being torn from my body, inside out. I'm sure I could hear the bones, ligaments, tendons snapping.

I was panting now. I banged my fist on the side of the tub as I doubled over again and gasped for air. I was straining for oxygen now. My vision was blurry.

Just when I thought I was going to snap, the pain began to subside. I could feel my arms again. Am I alive? My neck still tingled, it felt almost...airy, as if it were hollow. But other than that, I felt fine, at least I think. The lights on the ceiling still looked like mini yellow suns, still blurred from my vision. My legs tingled, but other than that, I was fine...I guess. I rubbed my eyes, trying to get my vision to clear. Am I blind? My stomach sank. What if I'm blind forever? I rubbed my eyes again, and I could slowly make out the white towels on the wall, the gels beside the sink, the dirty clothes on the floor...

I glanced at the tub. My stomach sank, eyes widened. Oh my god. I gasped. Is this real life? Hanging out the side of the tub, was a mermaid tail.

It was a deep blue, with sparkling, black reflects. It was beautiful, but how was it possible?

Can I move it?

I tried to tighten my muscles, as if it were a leg. I shrieked as the tail lifted upwards. It is mine! But how did I get it?

Will I have this tail forever? What will I do?

A million thoughts swam though my head as I tried to make sense of everything. I could still feel my heartbeat palpitating. This is a nightmare that will never end.

First we have to see if it disappears when I'm dry, like in the lore.

I gripped the side of the tub, hands slipping lightly from the wet surface. I heaved myself over the side of the tub, dragging my tail with me as I rolled onto the bathroom floor. I faced the ceiling, lying on my back, panting. Now all I have to do is wait, I guess.

***

I sighed as I glanced at the digital clock on the sink. I rubbed my eyes. The time was 8:15, and hour has passed and I'm still sitting on the floor with a fish tail. How much longer can I stare at the ceiling before I go insane?

I felt my tail, it was still damp. Can this thing ever dry? I looked around the bathroom. I don't even own a hairdryer.

Staring at the ceiling for an hour has given me time to think; would I have to tell my dad about this?

He can't know.

But maybe he can help. "She was from the depths of the sea," dad would always say. Maybe dad wasn't going crazy, maybe it was his way of telling me mom was a mermaid.

I winced as a dull feeling stretched up my tail, but I couldn't help but to feel a little hope. Maybe I'm getting my legs back.

I groaned as the pain worsened. I could almost hear my joints and bones popping beneath the scales, if I had any joints or bones. Then, the pain vanished. I glanced down at my body, the tail was no longer there and was instead replaced with my two normal legs.

I sighed. Dad can never know about this.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter- Annazf2002. I'm on private but I'll probably accept you. Just let me know if I deny you.