Chapter 1 - Red Eyes

I looked into the dark of the forest. The fullmoon was glowing in the sky above me.
It was a cold november night and I was surrounded by fog.
I was standing at the edge of the forest, on the ground that were covered in autumn leaves.
I felt a cold breeze hit my bare face, sending a chill down my spine. I shuddered.
I looked behind me. I could see the small town hiding behind the hills with fields. The town I have spended my whole life in.

There wasn't many who dared to be so close to this forest.
When I was a child I had heard about the stories about the "Beast's forest".
The story told about many that had been killed walking into the forest. There where no bodies left. Only blood and remains. Some say that they have seen it.
A large black beast with red eyes, a predator as big as a horse.
Some even say that they have seen more than one.

I didn't know what I was doing here. I should not be here.
I did not believe the stories. But my friends did, so I was stupid enough bet on that if I would get 40 dollars I would walk to the Beast's forest at night, my friends didn't think i was going to dare to do it, but since I really needed more money to buy a car, I went for it. So stupid.

The scenery looked like a horror movie.
Night, check. Fog, check. Stupid 17-year old girl, check. The only thing that was missing was a murderer.
Surprisingly i wasn't scared. I didn't feel scared at all. I acually felt...happy.
That's odd. Very odd.
Maybe i've lost it? I will proba-

My thoughs where interruted when I heard a branch crack.
My head snapped to where the sound came from. I couldn't see anything.
I could feel my pulse rising. But still I wasn't scared. Why didn't I just run?

Another branch cracked, this time closer.
Two glowing eyes came into view through the fog.
Red eyes.

Are the stories true?
A huge black silhouette soon also came into view. It was as big as a horse, if not bigger.
I could see the black silhoutette clearer as it got closer.

It looked almost like a ... wolf.
Never had I seen a wolf that big. It was atleast twice as large as a normal wolf.
The head was massive and so was it's jaws. The moonlight hitted the wolfs black, dark fur. The whole wolf where just radiating power. I don't think anybody would dare to pick a fight with this creature.

The wolf were still walking towards me and were now about five meters away. But it didn't looked like it was trying to intimidate me.
The wolf moved towards me, but stopped only a meter in front of me.

The wolf looked straight into my eyes.
The red eyes looked so intelligent and... human.
They didn't hold hate or anger. They hold love and happiness.

Somehow they felt familiar. I felt connected to this beast. Like there was an invisible bond.
The wolf stood still.
I didn't feel cold anymore.
All the problems in my life disappeared, all the negative.
It could not think about anything else. Just me and this creature in front of me.

We must have stood there for a while. Because I didn't release it until the wolf shaked its head, breaking the trance.
The wolf slowly turned around and disappeared into the dark of the forest.
I looked into the forest.
I must be dreaming. But it all felt so real.
I could still remember every detail of those red eyes. How could they be familiar? I had never seen them in my whole life.
I wasn't going to tell anyone about this.
I would just look like a freak saying I stood eye to eye to the wolf without it killing me. Nobody would believe me.

Again a the cold wind blew in my face.
Just like that I felt cold again.
I had to make my way home before I freeze to death.