The Funeral

I woke up with the sun in my face. I was finally back in my own bed, safe, I thought. I opened the window as a few leaves rustled through the window and landed ever so lightly on the floor. I thought about something for a second as I looked out over the plantation. One day this was all going to be mine, and when it was, what would I do? Would I continue to have slaves? A plantation even? It confused me a bit as I troubled over the story my father told me in the carriage. That he was, and always had been aware of Clementine and that was surprising enough. But, the fact that my father was once an abolitionist confused me. Would I turn into my father?

No, I insisted! After everything I’ve gone through to be with Clementine, I’ll never go back now. I washed my face in the basin and headed to my sister’s room to wake them up. I opened the door and saw their small bodies huddled together on one bed. I couldn’t help but smile. I walked to the bed side and moved a strand of Mary’s hair behind her ear. She twitched, waking up. Her small eyes looked up at me.

“Jackson?” She said, half asleep.

“It’s time to get up. Today’s the funeral.” I said. I could feel my voice edge a bit at the word funeral. It still hadn’t become a reality to me… Susie still felt alive. Mary rolled over and rubbed her eyes, yawning.

“I don’t wanna go.” She whined. I shook her.

“You’ve got too! You know we have no choice, and with everything that went on that night it would be disrespectful to not show up. C’mon.” I insisted, picking her up out of the bed by her elbows and then proceeding to wake up Liza. After they woke up I drew a bath for both of them, helping them out of their nightgowns. They sat there sulking, bitter expressions on their face. They have been this way since we came back last week from New Orleans. I don’t know exactly why but I figured they wouldn’t tell me the truth either way. My mother walked in then.

“Thanks Jackson for getting your sister’s up. Why don’t you wash up and get dressed. Your father is down stairs waiting for everyone.” I nodded, leaving her with my sisters. I came into my room to see Clementine drawing my own bath. I stood in the doorway watching her, smiling. She looked so cute as she worked, looking serious. I cleared my throat and smiled as she turned around.

“Hello.” I said. She blushed, rolling up her wet sleeves.

“C’mon, get in. You’ll be late if you don’t hurry.” She said as she looked out the window to let me undress. I got in the bath and she turned around then, handing me soap with one hand and grabbing scissors with the other. She began to tug away at my hair, cutting it. She was silent- I didn’t know if she was still mad at me.

“Care to join me?” I asked playfully once she was done cutting my hair.

“Shut up!” She said, splashing water in my face. I winked at her. “About that night in the caravan…” I began. She shushed me.

“It’s over and done with.” She insisted. I wasn’t going to argue with her. I finished washing up as she took out my best suit. The atmosphere was quiet as she took out the bath water. I stared at her. Her hair hung down from her face, falling out of the bun she had tied. I suddenly came from behind her and wrapped my arms around her. She flinched.

“Please tell my you’ve got clothes on…” She warned.

“Nope!” I smiled. She tried wiggling away from me as I laughed. She escaped to my bed as she threw the suit over me. I howled with laughter as she covered her face with my pillow.

“Jackson Sawyer! This is not the time nor is it the place!” I put on my pants and buttoned up my shirt. “What if your mother had walked in?!” She said hysterically.