The Charity

I limped along the familiar road. I wiped the sweat from my brow as I approached the market place. As I had woken up this morning I had realized it was the day of the charity and I wasn’t prepared for Susie. My mother had dressed me in my Sunday best complete with my father’s red bowtie, top hat and my old cane that we only used for special occasions. I had arrived, the crowd forming. The women were dressed in their best as well as the men. The market had been tidied up for today. I walked to the Square where the white garden canopy well was. It was big enough as the stage. I heard the band play as the announcer yelled through the crowd.

“Ladies and Gentleman! I am pleased to see yer’ shining faces here on this fine day! Please bid generously for a day with a fine lady. Lord knows the choir fund is scarce as hen’s teeth!” The crowd chuckled as I pushed my way through. I had reached the edge of the stage as the girls started to walk on out. Hands went flying. Why were men so excited to spend a day with young girls, I didn’t know, but I wasn’t. I watched as the girls twirled around, played with their hair or just grinned. I was afraid and nervous when Susie came out. I didn’t want to raise my hand but I thought of what my father had said. I thought I had disappointed him enough so nothing I could do would make him actually forgive me. But, I thought, maybe this would just do it. Just do it, I thought. Susie had stopped right in front of me.

“ Raise your hand you idiot!” She whispered under the clapping crowd. There was a sea of hands as she stopped and waved but then looked down at me and glared. I yelled out a large bid as my hand raised and she walked off the stage with a smug smile. I shot my hand back down in anguish. I winced as the announcer “sold” Susie to me for one hundred dollars. I quickly checked the wad of cash my mother had taken from my father. Exactly one hundred dollars. I breathed a sigh of relief. As the last girl came out and the crowd made their way to the girls. I joined along, finding Susie. I was squished behind a chubby man and a snotty woman who wouldn’t let me through. Suddenly I was spun around and my eyes met Susie’s.

“ Why hello there Jackson. Don’t you just look handsome!” She clapped her hands together and Gladys, hiding behind her, giggled shyly. I wasn’t going to play along.

“ What do you want to do Susie?” I asked, getting to the point.

“ Fine, don’t be fun. First… Let’s go to the bar!”

“ What? We can’t go in there yet. I ain’t got any money left on me now anyways.”

“ Oh yeah,” She said, putting out her hand, “ Give me the hundred please. This is a charity after all. I’m not for free ya’ know.”

“ It’s not like I would buy you even if you were…” I muttered.

“ Ha! Jackson, always joking!” She slapped my back rather hard as she ordered Gladys to lead the way to the bar. We swung through the door as I was led onto a bar stool. The man behind the counter, a chubby bearded man who seemed happy and willing to please a customer.

“ What would ya’ll like to drink?” I had never had a drink in my life before and I couldn’t imagine Susie having one before me. All of a sudden I felt competitiveness overwhelm me as I ordered the strongest drink. She had orders a glass of whiskey. Even with the prohibition this bar had been undetected by the general guards who sometimes passed through Louisiana to check up on things. Everything was brewed in the man’s bathtub so I had heard, and hadn’t got caught yet. He poured our glasses as I eyed Susie taking a gulp. She coughed a bit as Gladys looked at her, wide eyed. She really must not have drunk before either. I stared at the drink cupped in my hands and stared gulping. The fire-hot liquid slid down my throat as I gasped for something to put it out. I pointed at my throat as the man behind the counter looked confused. Susie just chuckled.