Chapter 4: Rewind

Here is my author's note once more. I decided that I hadn't really given enough information about Jessie and her life so I added it right here in this chapter. I promise, this chapter still has some adventure in it! Also one last thing. If you ever have any questions, just ask me and I will answer it in the Author's note. This mainly has to do with things about the story if you're confused. Again, please comment, vote and follow me if you are looking forward to any update or more information.

Side Note: I forgot to mention one of the new things I have been doing. I am now going to add a picture and possibly videos to depict a certain scene or part in the chapter. It might have to do with one of the parts that stuck out the most with me or just because I wanted to, see if you can find the part!
********************************

Rewind

I don't think anyone ever realized the importance of the smallest things. It seems unimportant or even a waste of time often enough. To think now after all I had been through, I really did miss home. I guess that home is wherever your family is. It never mattered where you were, in the long run, it was about the people who counted the most.

I missed snow and every time it fell right on my face. It always used to feel like soft white fluffy feathers on my cheeks. I missed New Year's Eve as all the lights shone brightly and lit up the sky. I missed all of these things, truly I did, but I think most of all, I just missed my sister.

Every memory came back in flashes, some too inconsequential to remember or understand; but they were all there. I never thought that there could be so much to see and do in the small blip of the life that I had.

And though I know it isn't much, I'd like to have my story known.

It all began in New York City, the city where dreams really did come true. Every Christmas, Central Park looked like a winter wonderland, and managed to provide the stuff of dreams. Chilly mornings and chilly nights were in store for everyone in this city, but with the warm culture and friendships, this city did in fact continue to thrive.

My parents and I lived in an apartment for three, it was small, but we seemed to manage. Mom worked two jobs in the mall just to make ends meet, but she always came through for me. I remember telling her that I never needed anything, but she always showered me with presents of all sorts. Pretty dresses and pretty mirrors, toys and trinkets beyond compare, she never did let me down.

Dad had always been my best of friends. He spoke to me as if I were equal to him and that's what I loved most about him. It was through my Dad that I found an interest in reading. He gave me just about every book that he had and then bought me a new book every week. Even when my father was low on cash, he managed to get me a book. He never did break his promises.

Father was sadly laid off his job because of some severe back injury he had faced only two years before. He had slipped on a patch of black ice and hurt his back badly. I knew my Dad was a trooper because he covered up his pain and moved past it. I always wanted to be just like him. He was brave and gallant, while I was just me.

Truth be told, I was quite the ordinary child. I never believed I was something special, my mom always boasted about me to all her friends; but I never quite understood what she saw in me. She always used to crouch down so she was at my size and then cup my face in her hands and smile down at me.

"Jess, you are so special. You make my heart swell every day with pride. I love you my little sweet pea."

Everyday she would repeat those words to me and plant a kiss on my forehead as she beamed down at me. I never quite understood why, but it must have had something to do with the fact that I was not like every other girl. Maybe she was just afraid that I wouldn't fit in. Unsurprisingly, she turned out to be dead on with her worries and thoughts.

The first day of school was hard, it was long and tedious and almost instantly I realized that I did not fit in. It wasn't enough that I was the only ginger in the class, but all the girls had managed to spread rumors about me to everyone in my class. I never knew why or how, but they always did make fun of me.

Maybe it was because I carried big books with me all the time, maybe it was the fact that I didn't get along with others really well, the possibilities seemed endless.

I do remember one day specifically. I was sitting in the school playground and caught sight of the bluest blue flowers that I had ever set my eyes on. I hastily plucked one and placed it below my nostrils as I inhaled deeply. It had a clean, distinct smell as soft as a lullaby and yet sweeter than most. The one thing that amazed me was how it was so different than all the flowers that bloomed in the playground.

"They're pretty, aren't they?" Mr. Smith, my science teacher smiled as he crouched down next to me to look at the flowers.

I nodded quietly as I smiled back at my teacher. I was very shy back then, even shyer than I am now.

"They're blue roses. Quite pretty due to the way photosynthesis take place, and quite rare. This shade of blue is incredibly unlikely to see in flowers. Though most times, it still survives Jessie. There's an old wives' tale about these flowers. They used to say that if you're ever lost, search for these blue flowers and you will find whatever you were looking for,"

I smiled politely as I glanced up at my teacher. He had short brown wavy hair styled in a professional manner, a black suit worn in a very scholarly manner, a pair of black glasses, and some black dress shoes. The man plucked a small petal off the blue rose and gave it to me.

"Here, why don't you keep this? For memories sake, of course. Put it in a safe place and when you need it in time, it'll be there for you." He smiled earnestly as he held his hand out waiting for me to take the small petal.

I picked up the delicate petal and placed it in my book along with the rose bud I had picked by myself.

"Thank you, Mr. Smith." I murmured softly with a small smile.

"No problem at all, Ms. Adams. I'll see you tomorrow in class," He waved goodbye before he spun on his heel and walked away.

I know it now, something has changed. It is awfully strange to think that a change has begun in my memories, the science teacher looked awfully familiar to me. I know it wasn't just that, there was something else happening; I was certain of this. It almost felt as if I was reliving these memories, it was more than just telling a story now. I might just be a part of it again, and yet it has changed. No, not changed, altered.

Walking home that day, I felt a certain chilly breeze rush through within the evening air. A sense of calmness before the storm so to speak. I knew something was wrong, something was missing and yet I couldn't quite place it yet. I didn't understand how such a thing could happen. My green eyes lingered on the black shadows which stalked the edges of the sidewalk. There was no one there and yet the shadows remained. How peculiar! I continued to walk down the street nearing my apartment, but I knew something was dreadfully wrong here. My gut told me right off the bat, but why didn't I understand it? I had forgotten something so important, so vital and yet it was no where near me.

I walked faster and reached my apartment when a man running straight towards me almost knocked me over. Was that Mr. Smith?

"No, Jessie! No!" He yelled as he stopped me from entering my apartment in a hasty manner.

"Mr. Smith? What are you doing here?" I questioned him curiously.

He seemed worried and alarmed about something but he didn't say a word. Mr. Smith's eyes creased as he tried to think up an explanation. "Well, Jessie. This may look awfully strange to you, but I need your help. This would be so much easier if you just-"

"Just what?" I interrupted him raising my eyes suspiciously.

"Oh nothing, not at all. Your Mum and Dad called me up to say they were busy tonight, went out so to speak and wanted me to warn you not to be alone tonight."

"That's quite strange of them."

"Last minute plans, now if you'll follow me." He held out his hand as his eyes scanned the shadows that had seemed to disappear off the sidewalk. His expression was certainly not enlightened by the fact at all.

"Quickly, then. I have.." He paused as his eyes scanned the window where a black shadow rose and began to morph into a girl with red long hair and big green eyes. He had noticed that she was staring down at the two of them and watched them with a blank expression on her face.

"Have?"

I couldn't understand what my teacher was so worried about and why he was exactly here. It didn't make any sense at all.

"Have a lot of papers to grade of course, off to the school then." He grabbed my hand and looked one last time at the window of my apartment.

"What are you looking at?"

"Nothing important." He muttered as he began to walk fast and pulled my hand alongside him.

________________________

Earlier that day...

A siren wailed loudly in the Tardis. Red lights blinked repeatedly to announce an imminent danger that the Doctor was to face. The Doctor ran around the Tardis as it shook and he stumbled all over the place.

"December 7th, 2001."

He pulled down several levers as he held onto the control panel for dear life. The time machine shook and almost whined in response as if it didn't want to go to the location.

"I know, I know. There's an awful lot of time disruption, but please just bare with me for this once."

He tried the levers once more, but alas the Tardis did not enter the location.

The Doctor began to run around the Tardis pilfering rooms as he gathered supplies of the most random things. He had in hand a paper clip, a blue flashlight, a clock, two magnets and a silver moon. He took everything apart and began to assemble a machine of some sort. He plugged it into the console and began to flick switches and levers quite frantically.

"Come on, come on!"

He glanced up to the console of the Tardis where he saw an image of Jessie trapped in a dark room, she seemed barely there. Her face was losing color as a black shadow wrapped over her ominously.

The machine whirred to life as a blue light flashed out of the metal machine and everything became covered in it. The Doctor glanced up at the console to see that Jessie was no longer in the room and as soon as he looked down at the floor no longer was he.

He looked up to see the brown bold words of a school right in front of him.

Braveheart Elementary School

The Doctor scanned the surroundings with his sonic screwdriver before glancing one last time around him as he made his way into the school.