THURSDAY

MCKENNA
07:00 AM

McKenna stared at the ringing alarm clock display — 07:00 AM, and she was utterly feeling like shit. Her whole body ached, and it felt as if she had a knife planted in her throat. She was cold. She had slept dreadfully due to feverish nightmares.

God – there's no way I can go to work today.

The thought threw her into despair.

There was an important deadline the next Monday that absolutely needed her planning. She would miss two important meetings – one in which Edgar LeRoy was supposed to attend. And she would have no chance to visit her dear abandoned bench, so no chance of being noticed.

I need an aspirin.

Life was just unfair.

ADAM
11:57 AM

"Would you please stop brooding over a void bench and please help me out with this?" Cooper extended his hand toward the six laptops laying on one of the office desks. "We have to reboot them all – in two hours."

Adam didn't know exactly what was he brooding over. Was it McKenna's absence? Or was it the fact that, absence apart, she had a crush on 'Mr I'm CEO, bitch'?

The thought made him feel so pathetic for having even just imagined that something could ever happen.

Life was just unfair.

EDGAR
12:05 PM

The business meeting was just about to begin. All the area managers were sitting at their chairs, their place cards before them.

All except one.

He had had the place card replaced this time.

It was not 'Jude Spencer' anymore – it was 'McKenna Dunne'.

Edgar didn't care about the meeting itself this morning; he had just wanted to see her huge green eyes widen in surprise when seeing the new place card.

But she was not there, and she didn't really seem the latecomer type.

"I think we can start" commercial area manager Johnson said "I received a phone call from Dunne this morning. She's got the flu, she's not coming."

It was utterly pathetic and childish and absurd, but unmistakable. Edgar LeRoy felt deluded.

MCKENNA
01:30 PM

McKenna was sprawled on the couch, still feeling drained. The only thing she could do was watch 'Before Sunrise' while crying desperately like a teenager and eating ice-cream.

A day spent at home was a day lost.

ADAM
04:28 PM

Adam Cook finally gathered the courage to move out of his basement office, and step out in the backyard. Cooper was beside him, a cup of coffee in his hand.

"Nice try, mate," Cooper told him with a sarcastic grin. "What about trying this a day in which you know she's not ill at home?"

"Shut up, Coop." Adam sighed. "I told you before. I decided I'm over McKenna. It's just not supposed to be."

"So we are here why?" Cooper flung himself on the bench's cushion. "You know what, here's not that bad. I'll start coming out here, if you don't."

Adam looked around desperately.

What if she never comes back, what if she changes her job, or whatever. And you never even talked to her.

He didn't agree with Cooper: that abandoned backyard, without McKenna enlightening it,was that bad.

EDGAR
04:32 PM

Edgar looked out of his window, down into the backyard, when voices coming from below entered his office.

There was no McKenna Dunne, of course. There were the IT guys, and he immediately jerked back from the window.

Why the hell is this so disappointing?