Wrong Bed, Wrong Time♡

My eyes fluttered open to the harsh morning sunlight reflecting off of the pure white walls that surrounded me. I grimaced in pain and then rolled over to take a peak of the man I'd managed to bag for myself last night. There was noone, I was in a single bed. My bed was not a single bed, so where was I?!

Interrupted by my thoughts, a man in a white knee length white coat strolled into my room.

"Ah, miss.. I'm sorry I don't know your surname. But you're awake!" The man sang cheerily at me.

I weakly smiled and gave him a look of slight confusion.

"Oh I'm sorry, I'm Dr Roberts. Miss, last night you were rushed to hospital the a deep wound to your stomach. Unfortunately, it cut down toward you pelvic floor muscle and through to your uterus. We had to perform a series of emergency operations to try and repair your laceration. One of these operations included an emergency hysterectomy and you've been left infertile." He spoke calmly.

"Adding to that, we had to remove the fetus from your uterus before performing the hysterectomy. I'm afraid you lost the baby miss, I'm terribly sorry..."

No words passed my lips, I couldn't speak; I was paralysed by shock. In the short space of hours I had become infertile and I had lost the baby I never knew I was carrying. Who was the father? How far along was I? All these questions brewed up a storm in my brain; but that did not bother me too much. My main comber was my future; the chances of having a family of my own were impossible now all thanks to one stupid injury.

"You were found in an alleyway surrounded by broken glass that we've taken in as evidence. It was lucky that you had been found, you lost so much blood you practically could have drowned in it" He continued.

Slowly, I exhaled the breath that I didn't even realise was caught up in my lungs.

"I understand your in shock Miss..."

"...Please, call me Evelyn" I managed to interrupt.

"Thank you, Evelyn. Now, I understand this new was not what you were expecting so I'm going to give you time to let it sink in. I will be back to check on you later!" He smiled as he simply ambled out of the room.

I laid sprawled out on the crisp white sheets of the hospital bed, it was so clean and smelled strongly of bleach. Everything was white, it made me think how the world would be without colour. Although, there was a slight tint of blue stained across the bare walls.

I must have fallen asleep, because when I awoke I found myself surrounded by other women in another ward. Each woman was around the 34-36 age mark and they all had a conversation going; most women had visitors, but I didn't. Nobody was ever going to come and visit me, because nobody knew where I was.

A short, sharp pain shot through my lower body; making look under the sheets to see where the pain was coming from. Across my public line was a great white scar, it was taut to be precise; very neat and to perfection. Something was not right though, my sheets weren't the usual ghastly white colour... They were crimson red.

Immediately, I frantically search around for the buzzer that would alert the nurses I needed help.

"Hello my love" A blonde woman approached me, making sure to make me feel patronised by the her words.

I swiftly lifted up the sheets to reveal the wine coloured liquid seeping from my lower abdomen. Little did I know that shortly I would be undergoing another lot of emergency surgery.

"1...2..3... Breathe deeply Evelyn, one last time" The nurse whose face hovered above mine repeated.

And with that, I was out like a light; about to withstand my umpteenth operation of the day.

Once again, my eyes opened wearily to the sound of something flicking through papers. I glanced up to see my consultant - I'm guessing - stood at the foot of my bed.

Nurses were scurrying about like mice in the background, which wasn't exactly the soothing atmosphere I assumed I would have woken up in.

"Ah, Evelyn. You're awake!" He beamed, making me sink lower into the sheets of this rock hard bed. The way he spoke just made me feel more distressed.

"Anywho, I'm basically here to brief you on what happened. After we had performed the hysterectomy a few hours ago, the placenta of your miscarried baby was left; of course we were not aware of this, otherwise it would have been removed previously. It seemed to hold out, even though your uterus was removed and it ruptured inside you. This caused a lot of blood, but we managed to find a donor in time. Count yourself lucky." He informed me, I let out a sigh of despair and leaned back into the pillows. Could my life get any worse?

Two Weeks Later...

I had been discharged from hospital three days ago and was finally settling back into my old routine at home. I'd been made redundant from my job and needed to start looking down a new career path. Maybe I needed some variety in my life to spice things up a little, I'm sure I was going to suffer from depression if I didn't change my mind.

I unlocked my phone and gazed intently at the background displayed on my screen... A picture of Mike and I on our first date, before everything fell to pieces.

Vibration

My phone vibrated in my hands send sudden shock waves throughout my whole body and to make it worse, the vibrations didn't stop, they just kept on going. Who could it be? Why was something calling me at this time?

Hesitantly, I pressed the green button and held my phone closely to my ear.

"Evelyn, I haven't heard from you in forever"

"Oh, Mike..."

"Where have you been?!"

"I've been in the hospital for about two or three weeks, I'm not sure. I lost track of time"

"*Sudden Gasp*"

"I went out to the pub to find a possible hook up and apparently he was so drunk he attacked me with broken glass bottles. And I lost my baby"

"...Speak louder, I didn't hear the last part!!"

He sounded slightly irritated

"I LOST MY BABY!" I practically screamed down the line

"You were pregnant?"

"Well you can only have a baby if you are pregnant... Get real Mike."

"Evelyn... Who was the father?"

"I honestly don't know, I didn't even know I was pregnant"

"You need to get a DNA test as soon as you can, it's for your sake. So book one now"

And with that, he hung up the phone leaving me in pure shock.

I slumped back on to my sofa; it was lime green and a two seater, I loved to decorate it with cushions depending on the time of year. I currently had Christmas themed cushions scattered aimlessly across the back of the sofa, considering Christmas was in less than a month.

I still hadn't had time to let the news in that I was pregnant and lost my baby. I wasn't even sure who the father was or how far along I was. All this time, I had managed to convince myself I was just eating too much and going through a stage in my life where my taste buds were changing and I just had strange cravings. Obviously not.

Melancholy spirits seeped through my veins and into my heart. I was going to be a mother, but my baby's life had been taken away in a matter of minutes.